MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

Found a bug? Report here
jdante87
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD

Post by jdante87 »

No more problems, I have been using primocache 2.5 since the last post and I didn't have any problems at all.
I didn't had hidden memory option activated. 128mb of cache. And I am using it on a system with 4gb (32bit OS for compatibility). No blue screen or bugs like on the 2.4 corrupting my system files, and I have more than 20 ressource hungry tabs on Chrome, an insane quantity of running software open in taskbar, instructive video files playing in background, a lot of database access for programming at the same time and disk usage and still no blue screen.

I had only one bluescreen (but I seriously doubt if it was due to primocache)

EDIT : I just did dump repport for the bluescreen

On Wed 31/08/2016 17:35:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\083116-5640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x4577B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A404A80, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS

As I expected it was not due to Primocache (ntfs.sys, nrkernel or primocache driver), at least according to what I see here and my knowledge.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@jdante87, thank you for the follow up!
Your last bsod seems not related to PrimoCache. But I'm not sure. Anyway, we're working on a new test version which may fix some strange problems in Windows 10. Perhaps you may try it when it is available.
ghosthardware
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghosthardware »

support wrote:Thank you for the bug report!
We have emailed you a test version for this problem. Can you help us check it?
This version has already been tested by some users who also had memory management bsod and they reported the new version fixes the problem. However, in their cases, bsod errors were only happened when defer-write is enabled. So I'm not sure if the new version works for you.
sorry for late reply.
unfortunately my trial period has ended so i can't check it =)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@ghosthardware, we'll build a new test version soon to better fit for Win10 anniversary build. I'll email you with a new trial key file when the new version comes out. Many thanks!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@ghosthardware, we have released the version 2.6.0 which have fixed some compatibility issues on Windows 10. We also emailed you a trial key file as your trial has expired.
jdante87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jdante87 »

5 years later, I still have the same problem, or should I say, it reappeared (problably software updates from Windows or the PrimoCache 4.1.0).

Additionnaly, I am now on a 16 Gb machine (Windows Server OS 64 Bits). I was getting a lot of bluescreens with the latest PrimoCache release (4.1.0) because I compile a lot of software with a lot of Chrome tabs and the cache just didn't seem to catch up (constant bluescreens). So what I did :
- typed msconfig.exe
- in advanced settings I limited Windows Memory to 14.5Gb instead of 16Gb
- I used the remaining 1.5Gb as "Invisible memory" and this dramatically reduced the blue screens errors.
It seems Windows interfer a lot with Primocache memory cache, hence bluescreens, and why blocking/locking Windows to a certain amount of RAM forces it to leave the rest of RAM to PrimoCache via the Invisible memory.
But, unfortunatlely, tonight I had another bluescreen, eventough it is far less than witouth the msconfig.exe RAM limitation.
I have 1.5Gb of cache.

The memory dump is in the attachements.

I have one doubt about "Invisible memory", it is not clear. It is clear that PrimoCache uses the Invisible memory for the main caching. OK. But what about the "overhead" (estimated to about 470 mb for the 1.5 Gb cache and 4kb blocks) ?
Attachments
031821-90171-01.rar
(271.12 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Welcome back, Jdante87. Long time no see ;)

Your dump file seems to indicate storport.sys as the cause, which is a widely-used high performance storage driver. If you have had any recent Windows updates relating to file or disk system drivers, rolling them back may help (certainly check the driver itself to see if it has been recently updated).

You also have a driver loaded (nprva.sys) which doesn't show up on any online search so it may be worth checking that it should be there - it may be related to another driver on your system - jnprva.sys (Juniper Network Agent) - if so and you have Juniper software installed, then it is likely to be legitimate.

Again, 1.5GB isn't much for caching (though you don't want to allocate memory that applications need, so check your maximum memory usage before increasing this). The "overhead" refers to the index used to track which (disk) blocks have been cached and will increase with (a) larger cache size and (b) smaller cache blocks (since that results in more blocks to track). If you find the overhead too high, increase your block size (I use 32KB myself with 32GB cache).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The dump file indicates the data corruption on the paging file. It's not recommended that you limit Windows Memory and use "Invisible Memory" as cache. Actually "Invisible Memory" is designed for 32bit Windows with 4GB memory or more. The performance of "Invisible Memory" is not good as Windows managed memory. Besides, it might have problems if caching paging files, especially in the hibernate/resume process.
I would suggest that you update Windows and all drivers to the latest. You may also disable the cache first and then run several days to check if your system is stable. If the system is stable, then enable the cache again (no memory limit on Windows). You may send us a screenshot of your PrimoCache main dialog for our reference (before capture the screen, choose/highlight the target volume item in the main dialog to show the cache configuration and statistics). If then bluescreens happen, send us minidump files. Thanks.

PS. PrimoCache overhead always use Windows managed memory, not "Invisible Memory".