What happens when deleting a junction point?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
erich56
Level 4
Level 4

What happens when deleting a junction point?

Post by erich56 »

I had created a junction point from a certain folder to the Ramdisk. If now I wish to give up this junction point, I open the "Utilities" and delete the junction point - so far so clear.
Question: what will happen if I do this? Will all the data from the Ramdisk be transfered back to the SSD and I can continue working with this data? Or will the Ramdisk simply be emptied by deleting the data without transferring it back to the SSD?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: What happens when deleting a junction point?

Post by InquiringMind »

Data will not be transferred when a junction point is deleted - the link itself will disappear but the data in the destination folder should remain intact.

Warning: If you delete a junction point in Win2K/XP using Windows Explorer or the command line del command, then it will delete the junction point *and* the folder it links to - see Overview to Understanding Hard links, Junction Points and Symbolic links in Windows. Installing Link Shell Extension will fix the Explorer issue since it will change its behavour to just unlinking junctions on a Delete, while providing a separate Delete Junction option on the right-click menu.