Windows OS:
Windows 10
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks):
Samsung 840 Pro system cached
i7 4770
Asus Hero VI
Description:

A couple of small bugs wrt to pausing a task

1. When I Pause a L1 Cache task in the GUI, the Status in the left pane still shows as active. There is no way to see whether the task is paused or not unless by going to each individual volume in the task, which is a pain. Maybe if you had a status column for each volume in the top pane.

2. When I pause the l1 cache task or volume to do a disk read intensive maintenance operation like backup or malware scan, the Total read statistic isn't paused, and the cache hit rate drops to near zero. This wipes out any useful information on cache hit ratio.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: A couple

Post by Support »

Hi geneo,

Thank you for the feedback!
geneo wrote:1. When I Pause a L1 Cache task in the GUI, the Status in the left pane still shows as active. There is no way to see whether the task is paused or not unless by going to each individual volume in the task, which is a pain. Maybe if you had a status column for each volume in the top pane.
Because volumes in a cache task can be paused individually, it is possible that some volumes are paused and some volumes are working in a task. So far task's status only indicates if it is successfully started or not. But you're right, we can improve it by showing more information.
geneo wrote:2. When I pause the l1 cache task or volume to do a disk read intensive maintenance operation like backup or malware scan, the Total read statistic isn't paused, and the cache hit rate drops to near zero. This wipes out any useful information on cache hit ratio.
This is true. Though cache is paused, "Total Read" statistic still monitor the read bytes as it is designed to catch how many bytes were read by Windows or applications.
geneo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A couple

Post by geneo »

support wrote:Hi geneo,

Thank you for the feedback!
geneo wrote:1. When I Pause a L1 Cache task in the GUI, the Status in the left pane still shows as active. There is no way to see whether the task is paused or not unless by going to each individual volume in the task, which is a pain. Maybe if you had a status column for each volume in the top pane.
Because volumes in a cache task can be paused individually, it is possible that some volumes are paused and some volumes are working in a task. So far task's status only indicates if it is successfully started or not. But you're right, we can improve it by showing more information.
geneo wrote:2. When I pause the l1 cache task or volume to do a disk read intensive maintenance operation like backup or malware scan, the Total read statistic isn't paused, and the cache hit rate drops to near zero. This wipes out any useful information on cache hit ratio.
This is true. Though cache is paused, "Total Read" statistic still monitor the read bytes as it is designed to catch how many bytes were read by Windows or applications.
Yeah, I realized after I had typed this that the cache task state had to be active because of this, so I edited it to suggest another column to show the status of the volumes - which really means this should be a feature suggestion ;-)

So I think the second is a bug myself, because it makes the hit ratio not very useful.

Cheers
Jacksonnunc
Level 1
Level 1

A couple

Post by Jacksonnunc »

That is a GROUP not a couple. Good whackin