L2 Cache Writes

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
davidst95
Level 3
Level 3

L2 Cache Writes

Post by davidst95 »

Hi, I'm a little confuse about the Level-2 Cache description on the website It says that "For better performance, level-2 cache is designed to store read-data only. For example, if a file is written to disk, this file will not be stored into level-2 cache."

Does that mean when I copy over a file from another hard drive of flash drive it bypasses the Level-2 Cache and writes directly to the HDD? If so, what does setting the Level-2 Cache to "Read and Write" actually do then? Thank you!

David
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: L2 Cache Writes

Post by minhgi »

No, it write to the L1 cache first and then to the HHD at the set delay time. Supposedly in the next version, it write to the L1, to the L2, and then HHD.
Kvng
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kvng »

PrimoCache needs to decide what HDD data to store in the L2 cache. It chooses data that you frequently read from the HDD. Data you write to the HDD is not L2 cached. If you read recently written data, your system may need to read the HDD again to retrieve it.

The L1 cache behavior described by minhgi does complicate things but I think you were asking about L2 cache.
davidst95
Level 3
Level 3

Post by davidst95 »

Oh ok, I think I know how it works now. Thanks for explaining it to me.

David
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

As Kvng said, PrimoCache needs to decide what HDD data to store in the L2 cache. It chooses data that you frequently read from the HDD. Data you write to the HDD is not L2 cached. But it will be L1 cached if you choose "Read and Write" strategy. When you read recently written data, it will be L2 cached.
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

@support:
"As Kvng said, PrimoCache needs to decide what HDD data to store in the L2 cache. It chooses data that you frequently read from the HDD. Data you write to the HDD is not L2 cached. But it will be L1 cached if you choose "Read and Write" strategy. When you read recently written data, it will be L2 cached."
I can't agree:
PrimoCache default setting is Frequency Threshold: 1. So PrimoCache decide nothing. Each block read is L2 cached, by default.