SSD cache being cleared every few days

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
lucidrenegade
Level 1
Level 1

SSD cache being cleared every few days

Post by lucidrenegade »

I'm having an issue with PrimoCache totally flushing the L2 cache on my SSD every few days. When I open the app, it shows free cache back to 119GB, and a megabyte or 2 for L2Storage Read and Write. Over the period of a few days the cache will start to grow up and I'll see 50% plus hit rates, then one day I'll turn my PC on and everything is back to 0. I've never had less than 110GB free on the SSD drive, so it's not running out of space. I don't use L1 cache. Any idea what's going on? I was considering a purchase, but not with this happening.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: SSD cache being cleared every few days

Post by InquiringMind »

Welcome to the forums LucidRenegade,

Please supply details of your system specs (controller type, SSD, hard disk, etc) - there may be a known conflict with the hardware you are using. Also try checking the Windows Event Log (if you haven't already) to see if anything is reported prior to the L2 cache wipe.
lucidrenegade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucidrenegade »

Onboard SATA controllers from the Intel Z77 chipset. SSD is a Samsung 830 and hard drive is a Western Digital Black 1TB. I saw the cache had cleared again today when I checked right after bootup. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the event logs.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Just for basic checking:
1) make sure your chipset and sata drivers are uptodate
2) check your disk for corruption
3) check the performance counter to see if it needs to be reset
4) format the L2 as MBR
5) check to see if you using any encrypted software / defragmentation utilty
6) resit all the sata cables
lucidrenegade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucidrenegade »

minhgi wrote:Just for basic checking:
1) make sure your chipset and sata drivers are uptodate
2) check your disk for corruption
3) check the performance counter to see if it needs to be reset
4) format the L2 as MBR
5) check to see if you using any encrypted software / defragmentation utilty
6) resit all the sata cables
Did all that. Same problem.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Just to clarify, does this problem occur every time you switch on your PC (and only do so every few days) or do you switch off/on your PC more frequently and only see this happen every few days? If the latter, then it would suggest some software change on your system happening at those times - check to see if you have anything scheduled like anti-virus/Windows/third party software updates, disk defrags, etc.

If this is a desktop system, one workaround could be to use suspend or hibernate rather than switching off. A suspended system uses very little power (5-10W typically) and will start up more quickly, though you might want to use a smart switch to ensure monitors, speakers and other items are powered off when the system suspends (and back on when it restarts).
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Time to fire up the Event Viewer and find any red flags. Worked on the most often flags to the least. Something have to trigger the flush clear on the L2.
lucidrenegade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucidrenegade »

I turn my PC off when I'm not using it. Cache gets cleared when I power on every once in a while. It may be 3 days, or it may be a week before it happens. I do run Panda antivirus and automatically defrag the hard drive. I've gone through the event viewer and haven't found anything the would be even remotely related.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Make sure auto-defrag never touches the SSD (these should rarely be defragged - monthly at most - and only using a minimal "flash friendly" algorithm). Otherwise, try disabling it to see if that makes a difference.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

If you use any auto defrag, I would recommend to use Diskeeper. I have been using it inconjunction with Primocache. No problem here.