What's wrong with this picture?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by Jaga »

Proverbially speaking, what's wrong with this picture:

I used FancyCache and PrimoCache during development, and had decent results overall. Part of the problem back then was Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate not shutting down cleanly a lot of the time. I would get on a very regular basis "Windows did not shut down correctly", which would of course totally invalidate the L2 cache and force it to start over.

So I stopped using FancyCache around the time it released (7 months ago), due to the flaky L2 implementation (Windows Performance counters were corrupted and disabled through no fault of my own). Since the time of release (April) when I stopped using PrimoCache I have had at most one "Windows did not shut down correctly" on the same workstation. It is a highly tuned and very stable computer.

Now after purchasing the software and fixing the Windows Performance counters so the L2 works, I start getting the "Windows did not shut down correctly" again, regularly, and the L2 is once again resetting itself around every 2-3 days. This pretty much makes the software useless. Windows does a decent job itself with L1 caching - the only redeeming feature of FancyCache is the L2 (and a little bit for cached L1 writes). If L2 isn't working properly due to Windows not shutting down cleanly, is there a reason to continue using the software?

=====================

It would be nice to get some official support on the problem. If I need to email or make a ticket on a tracker, please let me know. If the software won't be fixed so the L2 implementation will be far more stable, then it ends up being a dud and worthless in a production environment.