[2014-04-16] PrimoCache 1.0.1 released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [2014-04-16] PrimoCache 1.0.1 released!

Post by Yozzer »

Just my view on activation and pricing....
This is a great product which I have used since FancyCache, and it works very well indeed, but for the price shown on the sales link given in a previous post I fear it would be too high for many prospective users.
At the end of the day it speeds up my system, which for the pro user saves time and therefore money. For a home user it is a very nice boost, but, certainly in the UK where money is really tight, for a home user the increase in speed vs price vs activation/registration method, will determine the number of sales. I personally like to feel I fully own the products I buy, especially if expensive, as far too many times I have been left in recent years with products no longer useable when I have upgraded hardware due problems already highlighted in previous posts. Just my opinion which is not intended to detract from the product.
gabrielmorrow
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gabrielmorrow »

well remex is understanding in terms of moving to new hardware and activation etc just fire up an email and they will fix any truble you have
wavetrex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wavetrex »

Some thoughts about what I read here:

- Online activation for a software that has nothing to do with being online is a bad idea:
- Maybe I move with my laptop in Gubugamabugu ( A village somewhere in Africa that doesn't exist yet and nobody has heard of ) to help the children and I don't have internet on a 500 mile radius.
- Or maybe I simply don't want to use the internet even if I live in New York because I fear the NSA is spying on me.
- If pirates want to crack your software, they will do so anyway, doesn't matter if it's a simple registration number check done in the software itself or a complex online-activation DRM. They simply modify the code using reverse-engineering techniques (like RAM reading). You encrypt the executable ? The executable decrypts itself to run, isn't it ?... it's really not a problem. Heck, software like Proengineering that cost 25.000$ a license and have uber-special DRM has been cracked if motivation existed.
- A tsunami might come and raze Romex Software's servers from the Earth losing all customer data. Nobody can register their software anymore... even if they payed for it and is installed on their computers.
- (Or the company simply closes because owners move on to other aspects of life)

Conclusion:
Online activation/check only hurts paying customers. End of story. Just give us a decent price and off-line activation and we'll all be happy with our blazing fast RAM+SSD cached computers ;)

---
/me adds a reminder in 3 months from now to search Piratebay for "Primocache" :)
(joking, but it might become reality if this online activation scheme is not changed)
docbill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by docbill »

twu2 wrote:
Marble68 wrote:I am wondering when it will be available for purchase? Is there estimated pricing yet?
order from here:
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... chase.html
I'm not getting a very warm fuzzy about ordering this. It has been more than two weeks now, and this page is still not linked from the website. The fact registration works differently than your other products also has me concerned...

Initially, when you hand the primocache buy page linked to the primoram page, so I thought the price was going to be $29.99 for two licenses, I was ready to buy. Now that I see the price is $49.99, I'm having second thoughts. Usually my threshold for software licenses is anything over $20 I reconsider many times before I decide to buy. Below twenty I consider it petty spending and I don't think much about it... Really I just need one license, so I have to look at this is really a single $50 license. It $30 I could convince myself than an extra $10 was not a bad price to pay to have the option to use a second license later.

In short you have priced yourself out of consideration at this time. Something that would probably make your software more reasonably priced without actually changing your per license pricing would be say $29.99 for the first PC license and $20 for each additional PC license. That would still make your two license cost $49.99. And while I could not say I would definitely purchase right away at the $29.99, I imagine I would probably talk myself into it over time.
docbill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by docbill »

Ultimately, your competition is not other caching software, but hybrid drives. The typical price difference between a hybrid v.s. non hybrid drive is below $30. So really the only way to justify a higher cost is a richer feature set, enhanced abilities, or greater convenience. Otherwise if you price is high enough that someone actually takes the time to think about it, they'll pick the hybrid drive every time.

The reasons to buy primo cache:
1. You want the ram cache'ing features.
2. You want to keep using old hardware.
3. You want to cache MANY drives at once.

Reasons not to buy primo cache:
1. Only works under windows.
2. You also have to buy or allocations portions of existing SSD to primo cache, making it unavailable for direct use.
3. You could invest the SSD and licensing costs into newer better performing hybrid drives.

Of the reasons to buy, #1 seems like the most compelling. But that really seems like a very niche market. Certainly there are those who are adding huge amounts of extra ram so they can use primocache this way. However, for more typical desktop usage it seems better just to let Windows manage the memory and caching. So if you are targetting just people who plan on using primo cache this way, you have a VERY small niche market of customers. #2 works only if you have a lot of old hardware, and you expect that hardware to last a long time. In my case I do actually have a number of very old drives I've been using with primocache. But I find the drives are failing at a very fast rate 1 every 4 months, so I expect a year from now I'll find myself buying new drives anyway. A greater advantage of being able to use old hardware, is one can avoid re-installing windows as would be required to switch to a hybrid drive. But again, that is probably a niche market of people capable of installing an SSD as a secondary drive, but not capable or willing to reinstall windows.

Reasons not to buy #1 is actually to me the biggest downfall. In fact, in order to meet the requirement of #2 I had to give-up my Fedora partition on the SSD drive, so my Linux performance now really sucks as a consequence of getting slightly better windows performance.

So if the price is so low customers don't bother comparing options you'll get lots of sales. If the price is above that psychological threshold, there is a very small range of pricing where I would even consider recommending to friends to buy primo-cache.
Last edited by docbill on Mon May 05, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cachemaniak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cachemaniak »

There should be $20 discount for betatesters :) I won't buy it for $50 also.
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

It is unfortunate a single install personal license is not available. Like others I probably will not spring for a multi-seat license at the current $50 asking price. That said, one has to think Romex did some market research before setting prices and feel comfortable with the structure.

Since there is precedence for a two seat minimum I would love to see a tiered offering similar to Primo Ramdisk for those with more modest needs. Perhaps cap the number of cached tasks and/or volumes in lower tiers.
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Price maybe too hight for home end user, but as we can spend more than 100$ for an SSD or Ram upgrade or other, i think this software deserve it's price... adding offline activation is good for customer and it would be a nice stuff, but not for romex software, it's balanced, overall i always think offline license is not a good idea in purpose of anti cracking, even if everything is crackable.
one simple proof, romex application were offline before and we could find plenty of cracked version, since it went online, there is no cracked version on hacking network.
we talk about software, not hardware, if we really want to go offline, then we will never look for updates and product will just have one unique version... seriously it's nothing about privacy or else, it's just need to be online for activation... anyway... we exposed many ideas romex will decide :)

one more thing primocache is better and cheaper than it's alternative
http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/supercache.php
quigg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quigg »

Davey126 wrote:It is unfortunate a single install personal license is not available. Like others I probably will not spring for a multi-seat license at the current $50 asking price.
I second this request. I really like the product and would more than happy to pay for it, but only need one license. Why do you want me to order two licenses and pay for both?
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

quigg wrote:
Davey126 wrote:It is unfortunate a single install personal license is not available. Like others I probably will not spring for a multi-seat license at the current $50 asking price.
I second this request. I really like the product and would more than happy to pay for it, but only need one license. Why do you want me to order two licenses and pay for both?
email support ;)
[email protected]