PrimoCache and PerfectDisk Conflicts

Found a bug? Report here
JANSHIM
Level 2
Level 2

PrimoCache and PerfectDisk Conflicts

Post by JANSHIM »

Hi,

Just thought I would share a recent finding with regards to use of Raxco's PerfectDisk SSD Optimize when PrimoCache is present. Before PrimoCache it would normally just take less than 30 seconds for 'SSD Optimize' to consolidate free spare on a 128GB Crucial m4 SSD. Yesterday I ran PerfectDisk for the first since installing PrimoCache and was at first puzzled at how incredibly long PerfectDisk took to complete — I think 15 minutes. I also noticed it was actively moving some files like as if it was defragging. I got a little worried whether it was taking the defrag route instead of the non destructive free space consolidation. Finally the whole process completed after an unusually long wait.

The only reason I found out PrimoCache affected PerfectDisk operation was when I ran AS SSD benchmark and noticed numbers had dropped considerably — like when cache had been removed, and performance numbers show SSD factory speeds. Indeed when I launched PrimoCache, the settings were gone. I had to set up PrimoCache all over again. Curious, I ran PD again just to see if the disappearing cache was caused by PD, again the process that was supposed to take just a few seconds was beginning to drag ... I cancelled. I decided I didn't want to discover what possible damage this might have if I made repeated attempts. I Googled and read this thread viewtopic.php?t=2433&p=6587 not sure what to make of it.

I think the safest best is that the next time I need to run PerfectDisk, I should remove PrimoCache, set it up again afterwards. This isn't something I'd consider troublesome at all.
anocs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: PrimoCache and PerfectDisk Conflicts

Post by anocs »

Much easier than unistalling PrimoCache is just to try following:
1. For given volume
a) Flush Write-Data
b) Pause Defer-Write

2. If (1) is not enough - additionally for given volume:
a) Pause Cache
b) Reset Cache

3. If (1+2) is not enough - Delete Cache for given volume
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: PrimoCache and PerfectDisk Conflicts

Post by InquiringMind »

Another workaround would be to try MyDefrag which offers a minimal (to reduce effects on SSD lifetime) flash disk defragmentation option. That seems to be unaffected by PrimoCache - it uses Windows' own defragmentation API as do most others but PerfectDisk may do its own thing which could explain the apparent conflict.