Windows 8.1 - Memory Commit

Found a bug? Report here
Redbow
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 8.1 - Memory Commit

Post by Redbow »

Hey there!
I have been testing out this software for a bit and i am quite pleased With how good this program works. :)
However, i have recently come across some weird behaviour that you might or might not be aware of.

I'll explain my set up first.

OS - Windows 8.1
Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU - i7 - 3770k
RAM - 32gb - 4x8gb Patriot Viper 3 Venom Red @ 2133mhz
SSD Drives -
C: - OS-Kingston HyperX (blue ver.) - 1 partition.
G: - Gaming/tools-2x Kingston V300 120gb in raid0 - 1 partition

So, to the issue.
Recently i have been playing Battlefield 4 (that buggy piece of...) and been aware of an issue With memoryleaks occuring in that game, so i had my eye fixed on my task-manager to find out exactly how hard this leak hits me. I noticed then, that whenever my computer started up taskmanager shows 32% memory committed (12.2gb). This proved to be a consistent result wether i do a restart or a hard shut-down. I tried to uninstall programs in order With a restart between every uninstall, Battlefield 4, bf4 plugins and Origin being the first victims, then i just worked myself through the list of possible memoryhogs. The extra committed 10gb memory went away only after i uninstalled PrimoCache (running 9.2) and restarted. Since primocache is not running nor showing that it hogs 10gb memory in programs, I thought to myself that this was a minor hickup and decided to install primocache a second time. The first time i had only 10240mb set aside for caching my striped gaming/tool disks so now i tried to set a 8192 setting on the same disk. The same thing happened after a while 10gb extra committed and i uninstalled it again With the same result, the issue dissappeared. With this issue in mind now, i thought i'd just reassure myself and you that this indeed was an issue With PrimoCache so the Third time i set it at 8192mb to be divided on both partitions. I had it running for a while and the same issue happened again with 12.2gb ram committed, 10gb unaccounted for at startup. So as i am writing this i have just uninstalled it a third time and my memorycommit is back to normal again. Im not sure what is happening here, but since it looks stuck at 10gb commit (my first setting) and i lately have used 8gb, it feels like a stuck registry-setting of some sort, but this is only me speculating. I have searched in registry but can't really find anything that reminds me of a memory-setting, then again, im no expert.

PS. I checked and Primocache was not running in any of these cases, nor was it set in any way to start up at boot.

If this is not a know issue and you (dev's) have any questions, just send me a mail and i will try to help out the best i can. :-)

With best regards.
Redbow