May not be a bug, but a problem after update to 9.2

Found a bug? Report here
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

May not be a bug, but a problem after update to 9.2

Post by Yozzer »

WIndows 8.1, 4gb L1 and 20gb L2, not using deferred write.
Updated to 9.2 yesterday without stopping the previous release from running, and all seemed OK.
Today Windows 8.1 took longer than normal to boot, and when eventually it did, the desktop settings could not be found.
I have a dual boot, Win 8.1 and Win 7, both 64 bit, so booted into Windows 7 and checked out the hard drive with Win 8.1 installed, and all seemed OK, so I rebooted into Windows 8.1 and it came up OK.
I checked Primocache, and though the settings were still the same, it had reset the L2 cache to empty, (it had been 75% used), and the hit rates were down to what you would expect if the utility had reset. I could not see a proper error message under Windows action centre, except a short message saying the hard drive had been temporarily unavailable!
My system has been super stable for a long time, so I know of no problems, though I wonder if I should have stopped Primocache from running manually, instead of letting it auto update. I have been using Primocache for months now, and Fancycache with zero problems.
Hope this is of use, though it is possible this was a Windows 8.1 glitch, and nothing to do with Primocache :0)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: May not be a bug, but a problem after update to 9.2

Post by Support »

Hi Yozzer,

Thank you for the feedback! This issue is not expected for updatin from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2. It is not required to stop current running cache before updating PrimoCache. So your operations are correct. We'll check this issue. BTW, Is "Fast Startup" enabled in your Windows?
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

Thank you for your response.
I have just checked, and Fast Startup was enabled, but I have now disabled it as I have just read it was not advised for dual boot systems, as apparently there could be problems switching between systems, (it was set as default). Could this have caused my problem?
Since upgrading to Windows 8.1, I have not been swapping between the two systems, and in fact it was only to check out the Windows 8 drive that I in fact booted into Windows 7, (Primocache is also installed on Windows 7).
I had disabled Primocache on Windows 8 awaiting your reply, but I have just re enabled it, as the difference in system response was very noticeably slower, you have a great product, and I will definitely buy it if it is not too expensive :0) , (retired) .
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, with "Fast Startup" and dual boot, it is possible that persistent level-2 cache content might become invalid and reset.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

Yes, after reading about Fast Start, which I was not aware was set, it makes sense that the cached L2 data in the SSD may be deemed invalid under certain circumstances and reset. It had taken a while to build up, so seemed to be working very well, cache hits at above 80% for level 2 had dropped to just a few % following the reset, which shows how well Primocache was working.
Many thanks for your help, I will see how it goes with Fast Start disabled.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks, we will also keep an eye on this issue.