System fast, but unstable

Found a bug? Report here
docbill
Level 3
Level 3

Re: System fast, but unstable

Post by docbill »

As I said, my wife has uninstalled primo-cache, and probably won't install it again unless I can tell her to a fair degree confidence the problem has been fixed. So I have now been using primo-cache on my desktop. We both use the same virus scanner, and both the same brand of SSD. Mine is a regular drive, while her's is an MSATA so that part should be pretty similar.

In regards to disk fragmentation I remembered after my previously reply, that one time I did run the defragmenter immediately after initializing primo-cache as a way to get it something into the cache right away. That didn't seem to have an effect, so then I did a full disk virus scan. Initially I had the paging file on C drive, later I moved it to the SSD drive. In both cases the stability seemed about the same. She still has the paging file on the SSD drive, just no caching software.

I have seen no signs of instability in my desktop computer. However, my usage scenario is completely different. In here computer I was caching her C: drive, which means all the system libraries, executables, etc. In mine Windows is already installed on the SSD, so I'm just caching my data drive. I do have a few applications installed on that data drive, such as Y2M (a media scanner for mede8er). That application has crashed several times while using primo-cache, but then it also has crashed without primo-cache, so I have no reason to believe primo-cache is the cause of the crash. I can say though, one of my main uses for that drive is torrent downloads. Those have check-sums, which I am just now rehashing as a second time in the last couple of days. There is no evidence that any of my completed downloads have any sort of "corruption" or other problems I would expect to happen if primo-cache is mapping memory wrong. Now, if I can just think of a good way to test what happens when primo-cache is caching my system libraries and such, I could find out if there are some nasty interactions with the virus scanner when loading those files.

Bill
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: System fast, but unstable

Post by Support »

Version 0.9.2 fixes a fatal bug in level-2 cache which may cause crash. I'm not sure if this bug is related to this issue. But if possible you may try it.
viewtopic.php?f=32&p=6023