BSOD L2 Cache Sleep Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
SnacKrackelPop
Level 2
Level 2

BSOD L2 Cache Sleep

Post by SnacKrackelPop »

Hello, I've been following fancycache/primocache for a while now, and believe its a great software, however, I'd like to report a bug, with the L2 cache. Well I'm testing it for read only mode, along with LRU, and 4kb read, for a sdxc fast pcie express card reader for the readyboost, like, feature. I currently don't want to use the ram cache right now so I set it at 64mb minimum. It's working great right now except for one problem...anytime I enter sleep mode and attempt to wake up it always BSOD on me. If the bug can't be fixed can you guys add a feature that automatically pauses or disables the cache right before sleep, which then re-enables it coming back online. Also will you guys make it where L2 cache can be used with no need of a L1 ram cache at all? Because I don't like the ram overhead. The last thing is I noticed that in this version the L2 cache requires the entire storage now in order to function. Is there anyway possible in the future that the L2 cache won't take and format the entire storage, along with giving it an exfat option? I ask because I think it would be neat for user's to have windows on a ssd (while keeping about %30 free for performance,) and using the rest to cache their hard drives, a more advanced intel SRT feature, if you will. Thank you for your support.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: BSOD L2 Cache Sleep

Post by minhgi »

partition your sdcard and format with NTFS. It would give the ability to select that partition and allow it to be format in Primocache file system. After that you can use it for the L2.
SnacKrackelPop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SnacKrackelPop »

How do I partition an sd card? Windows doesn't seem to allow you to do that with removable media. Do you know anything about the reasoning as to why sleep mode causes a blue screen?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-par ... nager.html

Use the tool up above. I have no ideal about your BSOD. Could be anything?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

If I understand correctly, L2 cache has nothing to do with this BSOD issue since you didn't set up a L2 cache.
Here are some questions about this issue for analyzing:

What's your Windows OS?
Did you use Invisible Memory?
I'm not quite sure about your scenario, do you mean that you set up 64MB memory cache for SDxc card and this SDxc card is used by ReadyBoost?
Is here "sleep" refers to hibernate? or just S0 state?
Do you have a dump file for this BSOD? see http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/know ... -file.html

I'd appreciate it if you have more information about this issue.
SnacKrackelPop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SnacKrackelPop »

Windows 7 64 bit 8 gigs of ram so no Invisible memory selected.
I mean I set up a 64mb ram cache for L1 because that's the minimum I you have to use (can't use 0.) I was using the L2 cache for the most part as the primary cache. The SDxc card was set to about 8 gigs of cache. It was set to cache the main drive. It works just fine until I go to sleep (I haven't tested hibernation yet.) When I try to log back in to windows it always results in a BSOD. It also happened in another scenario. Instead of using the SDxc to cache the drive I used a 2 gig ram cache to cache both the drive and SDxc (since flash likes the deferred write.) Same thing happened, a blue screen after waking up from sleep mode. Its always a possibility that your right though, and that it's not my SDxc card reader, but PrimoCache not liking my computer in general. I haven't tested only ram cache to drive yet, so I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'll try to see if I can pull a minidump.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Is Hybrid Sleep enabled? I guess that the issue is related to the card reader. Can you give us the model/type information of your card reader, CPU and motherboard?
SnacKrackelPop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SnacKrackelPop »

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard
model 169B KBC Version 18.0D
Chipset AMD K12 Bridge Rev. 00
Southbridge AMD A55/A60M Rev. 11
Bios
Brand Hewlett-Packard
Version F.33
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Realtek PCIE CardReader
Device type: Memory technology driver
Manufacturer: Realtek Semiconduct Corp.
Sorry that's all the info I could find.
Tried it with Hybrid Sleep turned on or off, same issue.
Tried it with regular drivers, same issue. Uninstalled drivers, updated to new drivers, same issue. Tried it with 2 different brand (Transcend, Lexar) SDxc cards ultra fast cards...same issue

Hp Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
Amd A4-3300M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1900 Mhz, 2 cores
Bios version/date Hewlet-Packard F.33, 7/11/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the information and testings! Did you see a minidump file?
SnacKrackelPop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SnacKrackelPop »

Well I tried to upload the mini-dump, but your forum doesn't seem to allow pdf., txt., or word formats. How do you upload it?