Article illustrating how write caching can reduce performanc

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Article illustrating how write caching can reduce performanc

Post by dustyny »

Yes I know it seems like common sense, use delay writing and you get better performance but it's not that cut and dry.

Hobbyist blogs love to advise people how to use these technologies to give "better performance" but they are just an echo chamber repeating bad advice that they've read somewhere else. The truth is most of the tweaks they recommend either do very little (such as disabling services), do nothing or worse yet they put your machine at risk. :roll:

The article illustrates very clearly how HW differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'd say it does a good job of driving home the fact that you can't make assumptions to how HW will behave, YOU MUST TEST.. It's time consuming and will often require you to learn how the internals of the OS & HW work before you can get the best results but that is a very good thing. Do not follow someone else's instructions blindly because chances are it's either bad advice or only relevant to their specific hardware (yes even if you have the exact same HW, there is always firmware, OSs versions and HW variations to contend with).

http://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-230 ... ite-cache/
Kurama
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Article illustrating how write caching can reduce perfor

Post by Kurama »

makes me want one,

when a big company goes under or something,
id love to be there to pick through the old drives and stuff