Invisible Memory Not Available after Memory Upgrade?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Manny
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Invisible Memory Not Available after Memory Upgrade?

Post by Manny »

99bobster99 wrote:Any ideas on when it will be the final release?
No. So far no news.
99bobster99 wrote:is that you need to utilize some window's managed memory for the Level 1 cache and then assign invisible memory to the Level 2 cache. Is this correct?
Yes it is correct.
99bobster99 wrote:Can the Level 1 cache be setup to also come from the invisible memory?
No you can't.
99bobster99 wrote:Any suggestions on how to fully utilize my 8G with your 2 software?
You can decrease cache to 1Gb, and increase Ram Disk. And test performance. Also you can move pagefile to ramdisk, same as browser cache. Be aware about moving temp folder to ram drive, because then windows updates can kill your system. 3Gb of free visible memory is the minimum, so as for me you already utilize your ram.

P.S. Software is not mine :) I'm same user as you.
99bobster99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 99bobster99 »

Thank you for your feedback Manny! The information is very helpful!

I never thought about the XP updates killing the system if the temp directory is on the ramdisk. This makes sense since on reboot any required files by the update would be gone. Good thing to remember. I set my updates up to be done manually, this way I can reset my "temp" directory back to the C drive when I do any updates. I just have to make sure I remember! :)
sst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sst »

@99bobster99
I am using a Dell E6510 laptop running Windows XP SP3, with 4GB memory. Everything runs great, I added the "/PAE" attribute in the boot.ini file and configured the Invisible Memory and it was successfully installed. Your software showed 700MB of Invisible memory available. Now the problem ... I upgraded my memory from 4GB to 8GB, using PC3-10600 DDR3 SODIMM memory
P.S. DDR3 and 8 GB Ram,then you have a laptop that is not verry old. But you use Windows XP SP3 = then did you have Windows XP SP3 [Pro. or Home, and/or x64] ?
For your information, that laptop seem to be able to support Windows 7/8 x64.
99bobster99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 99bobster99 »

Yes, I could upgrade my operating system to either Windows 7 or Windows 8, but I like my XP Pro! It works great for everything I need! One day I'll give it a try, I might just like it afterall! :)