Primo Pro - won't load disk image Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
JonP01
Level 2
Level 2

Primo Pro - won't load disk image

Post by JonP01 »

Hi,

Yesterday I cretaed a RAMdisk and associated image file (6 GB in size). After installing various programs onto the RAMdisk, I made an image of it (this image was associated with the RAMdisk with load and save option).

Today, when I booted up my PC, the image was not loaded (the RAMdisk exists but is empty). I have looked at the associated image file and the size reflects the data I saved onto it yesterday, however try as I might, I can't rescue anything from the image file, even if I try to create an entirely new disk and associate it with the image file.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primo Pro - won't load disk image

Post by Support »

Hi,

You may check the image status in the main application user interface.
image-status.png
image-status.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
If the program failed to load the image file, the "Load status" will show an error. And in such error case, the program will automatically back up the image file. You may check if there is another image file.

You may also check the Windows event log. Our program shall log the error event when it cannot load the image file.

I am not sure if you have correctly set up the ramdisk. If possible, can you export your ramdisk settings and send it to us?

Thanks for your feedback.
JonP01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JonP01 »

Hi,

I will explain what I had been trying to do and also the result of some investigating I have done. I set up the RAMdisk (6GB) for an installation of Steam and one app running under Steam. I originally specified 6000MB disk size, direct I/O, associated with an image file (plain format) with the load and save options. The RAMdisk was drive F: and had a root folder named Steam. The associated image file was C:\ramdisk images\steam.vdf.

The RAMdisk creation process worked fine. But then when I went to install Steam, it worked perfectly fine as well until I re-started the computer. After re-starting, I got a Steam error message stating that the side by side configuration was incorrect. This would be typical of a corrupted install, yet it was working fine until that computer re-start.

After a few hours experimenting and trying various things, I decided to instead create a SCSI RAMdisk rather than a Direct I/O one. This time, the Steam install went perfectly and it continued to work perfectly after the system re-start. I then changed the RAMdisk type to Direct I/O, and the Steam install still worked fine, even after a re-start. Wierd.

Thinking the problem had gone away, I then installed one of my Steam apps (remember that my disk is now Direct I/O). Same thing happens - it works perfectly until I re-start the computer. And when I re-start the computer, about 2GB of files are simply missing from the Steam folder that had just been downloaded and had been there prior to the system re-start (I play-tested the downloaded app - around 3GB in size - and it worked perfectly just like Steam itself prior to the re-start).

So now I have reset the F: drive RAMdisk to SCSI instaed of Direct I/O and I will try to download the Steam app again and see what happens after a re-start.

I never had this problem running Steam and apps under Steam with the older version of VSuite RAMdisk, but obviously the size limitation of 4GB is a handicap, hence my installation of the newer Primo version.

It seems interesting and perhaps not coincidental, that a full 2GB of downloaded files simply sent missing after the restart, and the RAMdisk size is 6GB (so 2GB larger than the limitation on the previous version).

Anyway, I will update this thread after the app has reinstalled on the (now SCSI again) RAMdisk. If this pattern is consistent, then I would be able to re-start the computer with the RAMdisk in SCSI mode, and all the downloaded files should still be there. Then I will try to change the disk mode to Direct I/O, re-start the computer and see if the files are still there.

So it seems there is either some strange bug with Primo relating to system re-starting and SCSI / Direct I/O types of RAMdisks, or there is some strange incompatability between Steam and logical (as opposed to SCSI) RAMdisks (but as I say, I never had this problem with the older VSuite product, though I never could specify a disk larger than 4096MB.
JonP01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JonP01 »

Hi,

Update as promised. I installed the application (~3GB) into the Steam RAMdisk (SCSI) then re-started the computer. As anticipated, this time around the RAMdisk remained intact after the re-start with both Steam and the installed application working perfectly.

I then changed the attributes of the RAMdisk to Direct I/O (that was the only change I made to it - I left all other attributes the same). And consistent with my previous findings, this time after a system re-start, the RAMdisk and installated applications still all worked fine.

So for some strange reason, I cannot create a Direct I/O RAMdisk up front and expect it to retain it's data properly after a system re-start. I have to first create a SCSI RAMdisk, then install whatever applications I wish to run on that RAMdisk, then re-start the computer, then change the RAMdisk to a Direct I/O one. Any attempt to create a Direct I/O RAMdisk in the first instance results in the loss of most data on that disk after the first re-start.

Incidentally, obviously the topic of this thread is now a misnomer. The image was being loaded when re-starting. It was just that the image had been wiped clean on account of this strange situation.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi JonP01,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback!

I am thinking there may be a bug on Direct-IO disk with image file feature. Our team will trace this bug immediately and keep you posted.

So currently you may use SCSI disks for safety and may not switch to Direct-IO disks.

Thanks again.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Could you tell me what is your Windows OS?
JonP01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JonP01 »

Hi,

Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1 with all updates up until 23rd December 2011.
Tenchi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tenchi »

I have the same problem with the pro (demo) too:

Direct I/O Disc: i cant load image (automatic during win starts) after rebooting the system,
or in other words - it can load the image, but a few files are missing - but its not complete empty!

For example i installed Java & Minecraft into the ramdisk, it works. Then i reboot and i cant run minecraft,
because Java tell me that a file or something is missing.
When i open the Ramdisk the directories and a lots of files still exists!?

SCSI-Disk: works perfectly!

System:

Intel DP67BG or MSI Z68-ED55 both with 16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit SP1 all updates included.

the strange thing:

i have a 980X with Asus Rampage Extreme III Board & 24GB RAM
and Direct I/O Disc will work without problems!

For me it looks like a 1155 problem, maybe because the memory-bandwidth is a lot higher vs. a Intel 980X socket 1366 System.
Its just an idea, don't know ;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi All,

This bug shall have been fixed in version 5.2.0.

Many thanks.