Help--F.C. sees ''0'' invisible memory

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

Help--F.C. sees ''0'' invisible memory

Post by Itsme »

How do I get F.C. to see ANY invisible memory in my computer?!?

The computer has 8GB of RAM (per sys info), but F.C. says:

OS Invisible Memory - Free / Total (MB): 0
OS Managed Memory - Free / Total (MB): 1632 /3327

My computer's specs:
XP Pro SP3;
Asus V-M3A3200 motherboard;
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Blk CPU with AMD 780G chipset;
4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM
OCZ-AGILITY2 (100GB)

I added "/PAE" to the Boot.ini per http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fanc ... /help.html

I bought the Asus board and AMD chipset Oct, 2009, so it "should" be equivalent to Intel 946 chipset and above or NVIDIA nForce chipset 570 or above.

HOWEVER, I wrote and called technical (no-)support of AMD and Asus 10+ times during the last 3+ weeks, but they refuse to answer if their hardware supports the use of invisible memory. Asus and AMD blame each other as responsible to answer my question. (=Why I will never again buy Asus or AMD).

Is there something else I should try or do so F.C. sees and uses the 5GB of invisible RAM?!?

Very grateful for any help! :-)
fsommer1968
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help--F.C. sees ''0'' invisible memory

Post by fsommer1968 »

Hi,

what do you mean with: [AMD 780G] "should" be equivalent to Intel 946 chipset and above or NVIDIA nForce chipset 570 or above ???

Windows XP does not support more than 4 GB >> try a 64-Bit OS or Windows Server OS (Enterprise Edition).

Frank
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

did you click on "use invisible memory"
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

If possible, you may check your motherboard BIOS options to see if there's any thing related to memory remapping.
You may also check if you BIOS is the latest one.
Another way is to try Windows 7 64-bit to see if Windows can know all installed memory or not.

I'm very sorry that currently we have no such model of the motherboard and CPU, I cannot get more details on this issue. :(
Itsme
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Itsme »

1) To "Eric": thank you for Romex support!
2) To "fsommer1968": a key benefit of F.C. for users of XP is that F.C. may permit using invisible memory above 3.25GB
3) To "minhgi": "use invisible memory" is greyed out = NOT active in my GUI.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As soon as I posted this request for Romex help, then AMD finally replied today as follows:

"Subject: Does AMD CPU + chipset support Invisible Memory use?

"Our official answer is: NO, use of "Invisbile Memory" is NOT supported since there is nothing in the AMD drivers or Control Center software to enable this feature.

"However, third-party software, such as Dataram RAMDisk does list support for AMD processors and chipsets, so that software should work.

"Contact the software supplier to confirm that RAMDisk can use system memory "invisible" to your 32-bit Windows XP from 4 GB up to even 64GB if your computer memory slot hardware allows that.

"RAMDisk most likely can NOT use 32-bit Windows XP system memory between 3.25 and 4 GB.

AMD Global Customer Care

This may explain why the F.C. Users Manual only mentions Intel and NVidia chipsets.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In conclusion, it seems users of AMD chipsets AND Windows XP MUST:

> use Fancy Cache to access RAM from 3 to 4 GB
> use RAMDisk to access RAM from 4 to 64GB

This is the same conclusion that several other posts on this forum reached.
BikeHelmet
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BikeHelmet »

Itsme wrote:How do I get F.C. to see ANY invisible memory in my computer?!?

The computer has 8GB of RAM (per sys info), but F.C. says:

OS Invisible Memory - Free / Total (MB): 0 <--------------------------------------------
OS Managed Memory - Free / Total (MB): 1632 /3327
I believe that issue was introduced in v0.70. When FancyCache stopped using my invisible memory I stopped using it, as I actually need most of my RAM for programs.

Near as I can tell, v0.70 broke it on all Windows XP computers. (certainly it did on all the ones I tested)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

BikeHelmet wrote:I believe that issue was introduced in v0.70. When FancyCache stopped using my invisible memory I stopped using it, as I actually need most of my RAM for programs.

Near as I can tell, v0.70 broke it on all Windows XP computers. (certainly it did on all the ones I tested)
0.70 may cause BSOD on some XP computers. Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this issue on our local test computers. Anyway we're checking this issue, hope we can fix it soon.

FancyCache 0.70 shall still support Invisible Memory.