PrimoCache 2.1.0 causing system freezes (?) Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
eprst
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache 2.1.0 causing system freezes (?)

Post by eprst »

PrimoCache version: 2.1.0
Cache Settings:
primo_cache_210.png
primo_cache_210.png (73.27 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
Windows OS: Windows 7 x64
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Asus P9X79, [email protected], 64GB DDR3 (G-Skill Ripjaws), 2TB Seagate HD204UI. L2 cache on AData SP600 64GB

Description: System periodically locks up. At some point certain programs become unresponsive and cannot be killed, while others are still running fine. One by one the whole system becomes frozen and only hard reboot works. Stopping PrimoCache doesn't work when this happens, see screenshot above -- it hangs there forever. Seems like this happens faster with write cache enabled, takes about 1-2 days to show up with read cache only. PC runs fine for days with PrimoCache off. I think I didn't have this problem with 2.0.0.
Is there any way to download older version and try it?
I did a thorough memory test (3 days non-stop) and checked L2 SSD with HDDScan - no problems.

Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: PrimoCache 2.1.0 causing system freezes (?)

Post by Support »

Seems quite strange...I don't think we have many major changes between v2.0 and v2.1.
Anyway, here is the link for version 2.0.0.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/download/p ... .2.0.0.exe

If the problem still exists, you may try the level-1 cache only or the level-2 cache only to see if it helps.
Thank you!
eprst
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eprst »

Thank you.
2.0.0 read-only without L2 works fine for a few days now. I'll try it in multiple modes (read/read-write, L2/no L2 etc) and will do the same on 2.1.0 and will report back later
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you, eprst. I'm waiting for your test results.
eprst
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eprst »

OK, I think I found it, was caused by L2 SSD. Either drive or cables are bad, but sometimes it simply disappears from the list of drives in Device Manager and PrimoCache locks up.
I guess the case is closed, though it would be nice if PrimoCache could detect such h/w failures and allow a graceful shutdown :)
Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm glad that you found the cause! :)
Though PrimoCache can handle the case that L2 storage devices are suddenly removed, I think in your case L2 SSD was not removed but may have the problem to accessing its content, causing much time to wait and retry. We may also improve the program to handle such case to avoid freeze.
Thank you again!
soeno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by soeno »

Interestingly I've been having whole system freezes on PrimoCache 2.1.0 too on Windows 10 - However I don't use an L2 SSD cache.
Similarly, I am getting one drive that stops responding (in this case an external spinning hard drive) and this then cascades individual programs to freeze; and then eventually the whole OS freezes. Only a hard reboot will cure it. Uninstalling primocache fixes the issue.

-Soen
brightpurple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brightpurple »

I don't have an SSD, but otherwise this is the same behavior I have seen using 2.1.0 under Win 10: various apps hanging until a restart is required. I eventually had to uninstall PrimoCache because this was happening consistently. It worked OK following a restart, but would soon start appearing again. Can someone confirm that PrimoCache is supposed to work under Win 10?