Resuming out of hibernate fails

Report bugs or suggestions around VSuite Ramdisk
robvdlv
Level 2
Level 2

Resuming out of hibernate fails

Post by robvdlv »

Hi Romex Software,

I have been using Ramdisk Pro edition. Because I have had resuming from Hibernate ever since I have used the program (August this year), I upgraded to V4.1.5925.1624 last week. Unfortunately the bug remains; when I resume from Hibernate, I get a blue screen at startup and will have to reboot.
The system is freshly installed, has no virus scan software or other hard disk virtualisation software, neither competitor software nor daemon tools or alcohol.

I am running on a Lenovo T61p notebook, with a SSD harddisk (Mtron Mobi MSD-SATA3525-032 32GB)
I have enough free space on disk.
I am using the IM hibernation, having tagged "Support IM Hibernation" option in the "Options" tab, reserving 956mb from the 4096mb reported physical memory (system information).
I have no system ram in use by my video card, which has seperate ram (nvidia quadro fx 5700)
I am using Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600, SP3 build 2600.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Rob
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Resuming out of hibernate fails

Post by Support »

Hi robvdlv,

Thank you for your feedback.

Did you set the Windows Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys) to the ramdisk using IM? If so, it will cause BSOD when resuming from the hibernation state. Please see the Point 3 in the last section "IMPORTANCE" at http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/suppo ... g-ram.html
robvdlv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robvdlv »

support wrote:Hi robvdlv,
Did you set the Windows Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys) to the ramdisk using IM? If so, it will cause BSOD when resuming from the hibernation state. Please see the Point 3 in the last section "IMPORTANCE" at http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/suppo ... g-ram.html
Hi,

I was aware of the point mentioned above, although I did not mention it in my post.
I have not modified the location of my pagefie.sys whatsoever. It is on my default boot drive, C:.

If there are any more details I can give you that might help locate the cause of the problem, let me know.

Regards,

Rob
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi robvdlv,

Thanks.

Does it always happen every time resuming from hibernation?

What is the Error code from BSOD? Please refer to the following sample where important messages are marked by red ellipse.
bsod3.JPG
bsod3.JPG (45.79 KiB) Viewed 10070 times
(you may need to untick "Automatically restart" option in "system failure" group (control panel ->system->advanced->startup and recovery). It prevents to restart the computer automatically when BSOD occurrs, so you can check the BSOD messages clearly.)
bsod1.JPG
bsod1.JPG (73.9 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
And is there any mini-dump file generated when BSOD occurred? You may find it in the "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" folder where default value of %SystemRoot% is "C:\Windows". In this folder, you may see files named as "MiniXXXXXX-XX.dmp" where XXXXXX is the file creation date which is the date of BSOD. Please note that system pagefile must be set at aleast more than 20MB and on boot partition.
bsod2.JPG
bsod2.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
And we will try more computers to verify this issue. Thank you for your bug report.
robvdlv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robvdlv »

I have configured my system as you recommended (with regards to dumping on BSOD).
I have not been able to recreate the getting out of hibernation failure, which I do not assume has anything to do with windows settings on how to handle a BSOD ;-).

My ram disk settings:
ram disk settings
ram disk settings
ramdisk.JPG (66.27 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
My IM settings:
im-settings.JPG
im-settings.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
When I had the BSOD, I had my IDE (I am a Java developer) running a project from the ramdisk, including 2 website processes, running from the ramdisk too.
Running this scenario after the BSOD, I have not been able to reproduce it.

If a BSOD occurs again, I'll make a shot of the BSOD message.

Regards and thanks for your responses.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi robvdlv,

Thank you very much for your support!

So far we haven't seen the issue you reported yet. We will continue testing to try to reproduce the problem.

BTW, did you change the hardware after hibernation? For eg. a USB device is plugged in before hibernation while it is plugged out after hibernation and before resuming.
robvdlv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robvdlv »

support wrote:Hi robvdlv,

Thank you very much for your support!

So far we haven't seen the issue you reported yet. We will continue testing to try to reproduce the problem.

BTW, did you change the hardware after hibernation? For eg. a USB device is plugged in before hibernation while it is plugged out after hibernation and before resuming.
First off, thanks for your quick responses. What you mentioned could very well be the case... I have a habit of having my iphone and mouse plugged in..
I'll try with such scenarios and feed you back.

Regards,

Rob
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

fix possible BSOD resuming from hibernation in V4.3.xxxx.xxxx
hope this version can solve your problem.