after a while the cache stops working/growing even though more data is read from disk

Found a bug? Report here
RobF
Level 3
Level 3

after a while the cache stops working/growing even though more data is read from disk

Post by RobF »

PrimoCache version: 2.2
Cache Settings: 2G L1 230G L2 RW 32KB blocksize
Windows OS: 7 x64
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): haswell asus maximus vii evo 850 pro ssd
Description:

after running for a couple of weeks the cache seems to stop working. I noticed this on releases prior to V2 as well. I noticed that when I fire up a game that I play regularly I hear the disk clunking away and since I play it regularly and the cache size is very large it should be completely cached.

deleting the cache and re-creating it of course solves the problem. I have a python script for cache loading that I use on the game directory that reads all the files. I run that a couple of times to get the cache filled up and then things work great...

But... after a while it stops working and for some reason thinks it needs to read from the disk rather than the cache. To make matters worse it doesn't load the L2 cache anymore so your only recourse is to delete the cache and recreate it. Once in this state some blocks get read from the L2 cache but some don't and there doesn't seem to be any solution other than deleting and re-creating. The L2 cache is less than half full at the point where this occurs so it has nothing to do with available space.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: after a while the cache stops working/growing even though more data is read from disk

Post by Support »

When you see the L2 cache seems to stop, did you notice the "L2 Storage Read" values changing if you fire up a game the first time since computer restart? If L2 cache works, you shall see that "Total Read" and "Cached Read" increases, and "L2 Storage Read" may also increase if cached read is not from the L1 cache.