One 32GB SSD - 4GB page file & L2 Cache? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
sunk818
Level 1
Level 1

One 32GB SSD - 4GB page file & L2 Cache?

Post by sunk818 »

Hi, I noticed PrimoCache deletes the contents of the SSD drive. If I make a partition that is 28GB for L2, can I use the rest of the 4GB for a pagefile.sys?

It seems I can't since I can't even assign it a drive letter in Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management...
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: One 32GB SSD - 4GB page file & L2 Cache?

Post by Jaga »

You have to create a separate "volume" for the L2 cache to use, they can't be the same logical or physical volume. Use the Windows Drive Management tool to separate the physical drive into logical volumes, then assign one to the L2 and format the other for use with the pagefile.
sunk818
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sunk818 »

Can you provide exact steps? The problem is that when I create a L2 Cache, I get prompted by Romex PrimoCache that the entire drive will lose its content. Sure enough, the entire disk gets blown away and wants to reserve the entire disk for PrimoCache.

I did try to create a 28GB volume for PrimoCache and left the 5GB for the pagefile.sys, I was not able to create a separate partition in Windows Disk Management to assign a drive letter.
BrainSlugs83
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrainSlugs83 »

It sounds like you might be selecting the whole drive or something in PrimoCache -- I can't remember if that's an option or not -- or failing that -- you're not selecting the right partition. -- Mine is already set-up (and I don't care to unset it right now), so I can't give you a true click-by-click, but the following should be enough to figure it out:

The first step would be undoing whatever you've done in PrimoCache, remove the L2 partition from there, etc. (You probably have to remove the L2 storage from any caching jobs first.)

In Windows disk manager delete all the partitions on that disk (from the sound of it, you should have just the one). -- [Personally I use diskpart.exe since you don't have to fool around with all the clicking and menus you just type the commands you want... the diskpart commands are: "select disk #", and "clean" -- do not do a "clean all" on a modern SSD, never do that. Also never do a non-quick format on a modern SSD. -- If you're not comfortable with command-line interfaces, I do not recommend using diskpart, you will probably break something important. ;) )

Then recreate the partitions as you need on that drive, including the PrimoCache partition ("convert mbr", "create partition primary ...", etc.).

Now then do a quick format of all the partitions (It's not required to do a quick format of the primocache partition, but I do it anyway, because it lets you give the partition a LABEL which makes it easy to find in Primo Cache -- though, if all the other partitions are labeled and the disk is MBR it should be easy enough to find the blank one...).

Then in the primo cache add the new L2 storage -- don't add the entire disk, just the single partition you set up -- if you labeled it, it will be easy to find, but even if you didn't, it should be the only blank partition on that disk.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

Just to clarify, if you have a C drive for example, and your SSD is the D drive, when you create the extra 4gb volume on the D drive to be your extra drive, it should end up another drive number, possibly E, or whatever you choose. You would therefore have a C drive, two drives from your SSD, D and, I expect your DVD rom.
When you then go into Primocache, you would select the extra drive you created, (as Brainslugs83 suggested, a good idea to give it a label so you can pick it out), in the example above, the E drive, and your other drives are not touched. The new drive would be available for Primocache, but once selected for the level 2 cache and formatted by Primocache, it can no longer be seen via explorer, only the Windows disk drive management, which is what perhaps is confusing the situation..