game files from Hard disk to RAM Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
merkutinaa
Level 1
Level 1

game files from Hard disk to RAM

Post by merkutinaa »

Transferring game files from Hard disk to RAM? A friend told me that it is possible to somehow paste all the game files from your PCs hard disk to its RAM memory to boost performance significantly. But how do I even transfer anything to RAM memory? It's not like i can browse it. Can anyone explain to me is this possible, how does that work and how can I do it, what do I need to know?
Last edited by merkutinaa on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neglacio
Level 4
Level 4

Re: game files from Hard disk to RAM

Post by Neglacio »

You can use a RAMdisk like Romex' own Primo Ramdisk. With a RAMdisk you can allocate a certain amount of your RAM (let's say 4GB unused RAM) as a disk. However, you're restricted to those 4GB, and you can't load a full-fledged game, 20GB and more, from it.
If you have 32GB or more RAM in your system, this could be a viable option. If you only have 4-12GB spare RAM, you might be better of by caching in RAM, like Primocache does. Primocache will recognize the most accessed data sectors on your HDD/SSD, and place those in RAM. I use it especially for gaming, and it gives me a noticeable boost over my plain SSD when you're loading. Even in the middle of a map/level, the game might need to load something in the background. This might cause a lower fps at those points, especially on mechanical HDD's. Using Primocache solves this.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

16GB is sufficent for most actual games..

I found out that if you put all games-ressourcen into a RAM-disk...than the gaming process itself does not consume large amount of memory anymore.

Example: I usually had around 2GB memory usage for the game "might and magic legacy".

After i put the hole ressources (10,7 Gb) into a RAM-disk, the game itself is no more consuming significant RAM.
Now it stays significantly lower than 100mb.

This is because the CPU does not need to read game-data from disk and load it into RAM anymore... the game demands data and the CPU just reports back to the game at which RAM-address the data already lies. It does not need to copy from your RAM-disk into the process-RAM.

Thaks god for virtual mapping.

Consider that when you trying to figure out if you have enough RAM for such task.

Except of what your OS and your other programs consume you can pretty take full advantage of RAM-space... you do not need to calculate your regular Game-RAM-usage extra on top. The data that you put into RAM-Disk vanishes from the process-memory-usage.

I was pretty baffled... while my System usually is lower than 3Gb usage.... this allows me - with 16GB RAM - to create game-ram-disks nearly up to 13GB, without disk-swapping occuring!

10,7GB game-ramdisk works charming here with 16GB ... still have space left for 2-3GB PrimoCache :D :D :D

Yeah but i agree that with Primo-products... 16GB is little low :D I like to have at least 4GB L1-PrimoCache and future games may need RAM-disks greater 16GB ;) 32GB should last some longer :D
Last edited by CrypEd on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

sry for doublepost
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Sorry, but original post was a spam (copied from Yahoo Answers), so wasting everyone's time.