Ending a write enabled cache = slightly iffy?

Found a bug? Report here
margroloc
Level 1
Level 1

Ending a write enabled cache = slightly iffy?

Post by margroloc »

Hi devs,
I've just installed this software and played around with it - good stuff. But when I set up a read & write l1 cache (size 2gb and write delay of 10 secs) and tried to stop it, the gui hung up and I was forced to restart the computer (waiting for the program to thaw & ending the process didn't budge it). Evidently, this caused some problems because once I tried to relaunch the program nothing happened. I ended up reinstalling and disabling deferred write. Using w7 x64 sp1.

So, this slightly scary experience has made me notice that primocache doesn't create any autorun entries.
Am I correct in my assumption that it is not possible for the user to disable caching without going into the gui or uninstalling?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ending a write enabled cache = slightly iffy?

Post by Support »

PrimoCache uses a driver to implement the cache work. Gui might hung for a while when it is busy writing deferred write data to the physical disk and then stopping the cache. Of course, it is also possible that this gui hang is caused by a bug that PrimoCache cannot successfully write all deferred data to the underlying disk. We'll do more testings.
margroloc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ending a write enabled cache = slightly iffy?

Post by margroloc »

I should also note that the freeze only happened after I'd already created a few similar deferred-write caches and ended those. I haven't tried to replicate the issue, hopefully it's an isolated thing. Thanks for looking into it though.