Next Version? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Next Version?

Post by Support »

@Cachemaniak,

1. You can check the value of "Free Cache (L1/L2)". But even cache is full, program will automatically discard old cache data and store new data by replacing algorithm.
2. Yes.
3. No so-called timing sync at all. If requested hdd data has been cached, system reads data from cache, otherwise system reads data from hdd.
Cachemaniak wrote:I just discovered this software and replaced Express Cache with it. Express Cache was allways wiped out anytime my OS wasn't shut down properly (i.e. 4s power down button).
I've got some questions about Primocache:
1. How can I check how much disk space is used for the cache out of my whole cache partition ?
2. Is the persistent cache cleared with dirty OS shutdown (i.e. blue screen) ?
3. Can I use Primocache to shut down slow hdd to conserve battery and only sync the cache every 4 hours ? This way I could spin down my hdd an work on battery more time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@intika,

This feature will be enabled in the next version as currently it has a problem to support hibernate.
intika wrote:Nice version, look just have some cosmetic changes lool (i am kidding)
Why Invisible memory is not enabled ?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for informing us about the possible issue. We'll check this scenario.
minhgi wrote: Caution - if the computer is using a hard raid controller with defer write and planning on using the defer write in Primocache, set the defer write, in Primocache, equal to or less than the one on the controller. The computer will hang or crash on shutdown. The raid controller will try to flush data earlier to hard drive and sent a shut down command to the computer. Primocache had not the chance to flush its data. The result is computer hang or corrupt data.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

support wrote:Thank you for informing us about the possible issue. We'll check this scenario.
One of the FancyCache's core components is a storage class filter driver which resides in the storage stack, intercepting I/O requests for data on volume/disk.
A HW-Raid like his LSI-storage-controller-card reports to the BIOS as a disk, not a raid, this is why intheory the HW-raid ha sthe highest chance to work compared to FW-Raid and software-raid, that assume highly impossible.

Any I/O-request to the disk (raid) is intercepted, and therefore any defered-write write doesnt reach the raid before timeout-duration (or full-cache-situation)... so nothing there the raid would like to defer to the disks before, except there is some process running that tries to gather health/status/warnings/error-messages or a expects an "alive-signal" within a decent time or sends internal-commands... all that would intercepted by primocache, running into unexpected problems of all kind.

Theres no way his HW-raid controller is causing this by trying to defer "regular"-dats-r/w internally what had not even passed on to the "disk" by fancycache.
The problem is not fancycache/primocache, thats for sure. Technically it should work... but Im sure it is unable for romex to find the root of this error.

When you use a third party application that helps you to maintain/configurating your true HW-raid through the OS on runtime, than you have to disable primocahce/fancycache for that time you need to configure the HW-raid-controller before. Only standard drive commands would work. Sending any interal maintaining command from a "tool" would high likely run into BSOD.

These maintaining tools request health status of the disks by the controller or report controller warnings to your desktop... what-so-ever. This would not work properly with fc/pc. These tool might think the controller died or a drive died and send a shut-down command for safety :D

I dont even see what he means with setting the defer write lower than in primocache. You cannot set the defer write lower or higher, except you mean 0 for disabled and 1 for enabled. Only thing beeing left would be "timeout-duration" of defer-write... guess he means that, just was to unspecific, what he exactly means.

I think his note is simply misleading from the real causing problems of such controllers in combination with fc/pc.

Anyhow when the raid-disks expect regular write out of nothing or for no reason to run into BSOD, that would be quite curious and a problem of the internal FW of the HW-controller. Hope i could help on the topic.

I guess a legit solution could be: uninstall all software that came with the LSI, reboot, then try to set higher defer-timeout-duration in primocache.
Gidde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gidde »

I am having the same problem as a previous poster, where PrimoCache would crash instantly upon starting it with the following error message:
http://imgur.com/gYSh9Xf
The previous version, FancyCache 0.8, works without problems.

Setup:
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Intel RST 12.5.0.1066
Intel X58 chipset, sata configured to RAID mode - Intel 330 SSD and WD Green HDD. No RAID is setup, running as JBOD in RAID-mode.

On a sidenote, when fancycache was running and a cache was configured for the Intel 330 SSD, Intels own SSD Toolbox' optimize function would not work. SSD Toolbox version 3.1.5/3.12 (the ones tested) would say, when trying to optimize the SSD, "Raid array detected...." and halts the process.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

This is exactly what I was talking about. You are running RAID mode.... change that to AHCI for fc/pc properly to work or your disk beeing supported. RAID is not officially supported.. no matter if you not setup one existing... you have to change the SATA-Controller Mode to AHCI. ANd again sending "internal commands" through "toolboxes" high likely not going to work properly with fc/pc.... because practically now internally your drive IS ONLY fc/pc.... it does not know what to do with it, except passing on...so with defer write timeout... these would... exactly: timeout :D

stop primo... send your toolbox command.... start primo. problem solved.
sst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sst »

PrimoCache Preview

Did i can test "PrimoCache Preview", inside Windows 8.1 Preview x64 French, VirtualBox virtual machine? because it will not real speed test, virtual machine is already slow.

P.S. i will test "PrimoCache Preview" compatibility, with Windows 8.1 Preview.

Will post soon, after clone my "Windows 8.1 virtual machine", to an other virtual machine.

French translation did it's needed, oir you will take translated text, from PrimoRamdisk ?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Theoretically, I think you are right. And at shutdown, primocache will flush all defered-data to disk regardless the latency setting. However we still will check and verify this scenario to make sure that PrimoCache is compatible with such raid controllers.
Incriminated wrote:A HW-Raid like his LSI-storage-controller-card reports to the BIOS as a disk, not a raid, this is why intheory the HW-raid ha sthe highest chance to work compared to FW-Raid and software-raid, that assume highly impossible.

Any I/O-request to the disk (raid) is intercepted, and therefore any defered-write write doesnt reach the raid before timeout-duration (or full-cache-situation)... so nothing there the raid would like to defer to the disks before, except there is some process running that tries to gather health/status/warnings/error-messages or a expects an "alive-signal" within a decent time or sends internal-commands... all that would intercepted by primocache, running into unexpected problems of all kind.

Theres no way his HW-raid controller is causing this by trying to defer "regular"-dats-r/w internally what had not even passed on to the "disk" by fancycache.
The problem is not fancycache/primocache, thats for sure. Technically it should work... but Im sure it is unable for romex to find the root of this error.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Gidde,

Thanks for the feedback.

This issue seems not same as previous problems. May I have your cache settings? And your disk and memory information?
Gidde wrote:I am having the same problem as a previous poster, where PrimoCache would crash instantly upon starting it with the following error message:
http://imgur.com/gYSh9Xf
The previous version, FancyCache 0.8, works without problems.
sst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sst »

sst wrote:PrimoCache Preview

Did i can test "PrimoCache Preview", inside Windows 8.1 Preview x64 French, VirtualBox virtual machine? because it will not real speed test, virtual machine is already slow.

P.S. i will test "PrimoCache Preview" compatibility, with Windows 8.1 Preview.

Will post soon, after clone my "Windows 8.1 virtual machine", to an other virtual machine.

French translation did it's needed, oir you will take translated text, from PrimoRamdisk ?
See file included, ... ok it work.

No problem at installation. After need a restart, restarted and no problem of restarting windows, after configure, "but for the moment, cant made level-2 drive cache = it's a vritual machine", then it need real disk for level-2 drive cache.
No blue screen. No crash.

But not tested on real computer windows 8.1 o.s.