RamDisk stil has data after shutdown using load only image ?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
kris4578
Level 1
Level 1

RamDisk stil has data after shutdown using load only image ?

Post by kris4578 »

My specs: Phenom X4-965 BE, mainboard: Ga-970A-UD3, memory: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1600
Windows 8 using fast boot with no paging file.

So I created SCSI 2 GB Ram Disk with dynamic memory management/compact mode on NTFS with compression and ticked load only to image file and delay load. Image file ramdisk.vdf has size 1,95 GB and his size on disk is 932 KB thanks to NTFS compression. Data stamps and size is constant from the day of ram disk creation, becouse I ticked load only image. (Save is unticked)

But ... when I shutdown my computer (shutdown not sleep, I even turn off electicity power) and start again my RamDisk still has the same files I copied last session on him .... ??! Tried many times - the same situation. I checked even hiberfil.sys (becouse I use default Win8 start boot) modified time data stamp - last modification done yesterday. But Win8 fast start could not copy RAM to hiberfil.sys anyway.

So I understand that RAM could remember data even if offline state ? How long ? If so in Primo 5.50 I don't see clear memory on shutdown option and my RamDisk is full of previous data.

### Later tests:

1. of course I realized it's not the RAM issue (impossible)
2. When I copy files to RAM DISK -> shutdown the computer -> start system -> files are there
3. reinitialize disk -> files are gone (so it's not the image case either)

Probably Windows 8 is messing with RAM DISK and store those files in some location ....

### Problem known:

I turned off Windows 8 Fast Start in Control Panel/hardware and sound/power options/define power buttons (..)/change controls currently unavailable/unticked turn on fast start (recomended) and the problem is solved .... no more old files on my RamDisk. So the only logical answer is: Fast Start copied those files on my SSD on system close, and loaded when system start. Strange.

I have 2 options now:

a/ use fast start but delete all the files from RAM Disk on closing (manually, becouse I don't see "clean RAM on exit option")
b/ work without fast start

I've found explanation here:
http://superuser.com/questions/499458/w ... -windows-8
Now here’s the key difference for Windows 8: as in Windows 7, we close the user sessions, but instead of closing the kernel session, we hibernate it. Compared to a full hibernate, which includes a lot of memory pages in use by apps, session 0 hibernation data is much smaller, which takes substantially less time to write to disk. If you’re not familiar with hibernation, we’re effectively saving the system state and memory contents to a file on disk (hiberfil.sys) and then reading that back in on resume and restoring contents back to memory. Using this technique with boot gives us a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems we’ve tested).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: RamDisk stil has data after shutdown using load only ima

Post by Support »

Yes, you're right! "fast boot" in Windows 8 will save kernel memory data at shutdown and restore data at computer startup.