Post by parrot »

hey guys my PC is:
core i3 2120 3,3ghz
4GB ram ddr3 1333
250GB seagate 7200.10 hdd
320gm samsung 7200rpm hdd
Win 7 x64
GTX 480

I am using this pc entirely for gaming,mostly MMORPG games.Right now im playing Aion and I notice significant hiccups and slowdowns when entering new areas,hdd light constantly is red.When it loads everything tho its very smooth as expected.I used Fancy Cache volume edition and I set 256mb L1 cache LFU-R with 4kb block size and write deffer(10s) on my Windows partition.On my gaming partition I set 1gb l1 cache,LRU,4kb block size,read only.Please give me suggestions for both partitions.Also,setting too high L1 than this causes heavy pagefile use...,I hope this gets fixed in fancycache(it should stop using ram when windows runs out of it and goes to pagefile)

Now the other thing im really confused about is what's the point of speeding things the SECOND time they are loaded??Lets say that im playing an FPS game,it has 20 maps,i play each map 30 minutes,since the initial loading is same,I have to play 20x30min 6 HOURS of non-stop playing just to even touch the cache??(and even then,I probably wouldn't because that would require more than 20GB of cache lol) tell me if im wrong but if thats the case than this program is useless for gaming
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gaming cache settings

Post by Mradr »

Not going ot lie xD Sound like you have no clue how data works in the pc ^^;

First off, the hiccups and slowdowns are not just from your hdd, but from your gpu, cpu, ram, and hdd.

Next off, why do you have deffer writes on when you are really wanting just read speed increase? You are better off setting that to Read-Only type of caching. Next off, you are setting over 1.25 GB (cache) +1GB(window 7) of your ram out of your 4 GB leaving only 1.75GB free/left for your game O.o; Well yea... if you set L1 to use even more... you are telling it to use more ram leaving less for your programs again xD Window 7 will try to make due and page it so you do have enough memory. Kinda of the user fault if they want to do that... not fanycaches.

Why make things loader faster the second time? Well.. to make it load faster when you use it again. Why does the time you play em matter to the number of maps? You could do it in 20 seconds instead of the 6hrs... 6hrs isn't really that long either. Cache is not the same as data... you could have up to 100 maps cache compare to the size of 1 map.

"Useless for gaming" Sure it is:) I bet the server you're on says the same thing as it has to save your data every time you play for "Free" when it really doesn't want to. Just saying. It's not all about the gaming on the client side of things. You have to think about both halfs or you will fail always to win xD.

Anyways... you have to clam down and think things out:
Your ram isn't the best size to keep increasing it for L1 use. You would need at least 6-8Gb.
gaming drive only:
L1 512MB
Defult Block Size
Algorithm LFU-R
Caching Strategy: Read Only
Enable L2
set L2 as the other drive up with at least 5GB (or 5000mb).
Algorthm: MBU
parrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parrot »

thanks for quick reply,please dont judge..i probably know 100x more things about pc than you,its just fancycache im learning now.the hiccups are from hdd,my cpu,gpu,ram are overkill for any game(I get constant 60fps after the map/objects are loaded).Deffer writing I only use on my windows partition incase i install some software or just copy/cut stuff.

I play a few maps(5-6) and they load as usual,then I start other game...so cache is not used at all?Also ..how can I play 6 maps in 20seconds?? i didnt get that part,please use other words.

The PC is basically turned on about 20 hours a day,and then turned off for 4.

I dont care about the server at all,im on the client side,its not my problem what the server does.

Thanks for the recommended settings,I will try them now,but is L2 good to set up on an USB2 8GB flash drive?(its kinda slow)
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

parrot wrote:thanks for quick reply,please dont judge..i probably know 100x more things about pc than you,its just fancycache im learning now.the hiccups are from hdd,my cpu,gpu,ram are overkill for any game(I get constant 60fps after the map/objects are loaded).Deffer writing I only use on my windows partition incase i install some software or just copy/cut stuff.

I play a few maps(5-6) and they load as usual,then I start other game...so cache is not used at all?Also ..how can I play 6 maps in 20seconds?? i didnt get that part,please use other words.

The PC is basically turned on about 20 hours a day,and then turned off for 4.

I dont care about the server at all,im on the client side,its not my problem what the server does.

Thanks for the recommended settings,I will try them now,but is L2 good to set up on an USB2 8GB flash drive?(its kinda slow)
Ok ^^ if you think you know about 100x more than me about em. Software counts more than hardware... just saying ^^; They're not really over kill... actully the i3 is the lowest of all the current cpus. I7 is consider overkill with the 6950HD being the mid set to the gpu market..... errr... anyways...

If you are going to be using a USB, make sure L2 Algorthms is set to LBW so not to waste writes to the flash drive (but you knew that already). Speed wise of the USB must be 30MB +... anything else that is slower will actully hurt performance more than help it. Also, as you should already know, Maps reuse a lot of data sets such as models (trees, humens, npcs), guns, bullets, and textures. By caching most of that on the first run, your next run of this data will be faster while the other data could be consider wasted, but long as you have a big enough space for L2 it should be fine. Now, that does not mean it is cross program access. What I mean by that is: Yes, data cache from one game will not be usable in another game and will have to recached for reuse. As I said before tho, cache is not the same a data and you can store more cache than you can store data. MMOs read from the disk more than a FPS actully. You should see a boost in MMO style games than an FPS type of ones (during game), but FPS does load a lot of the same data over and over again unlike a MMO (so loading wise, the FPS will finish before the MMO)... Either way, you should get a game boost from using the program (noticable or not as loading from disk is only half the issue.)

I know you don't care about server stuff... and you cry when the server lags for it xD

You can load maps in 6 sec because you don't actully have to play the map/game... just log in.. select the map/game... let it load... then d/c, quite, or logout of the map and it is now cached. (As you should already know O.o;)
Please dont judge..I probably know 100x more things about pc than you
I live in the USA. I was born with the right to judge at will (free speech, not that I actully invoke my right all the time or that I am always right. Sometimes what I say also comes out a bit a rude, but I notice it perty fast and try to say I am sorry on the next time). I am also in college for my networking admin degree (witch I finish the agree in two weeks) and working on my programming degree in the summer and fall right after that. ^^ The only reason I judged you was base off the fact you blame FC for a user issue. Also that statement didn't help your case either o.o;
parrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parrot »

i meant overkill for the games..even the latest games i can run at max with 60fps,and i havent even overclocked my gpu.I am using PC since I was 2 years old,believe it or not,im 19 now.I love both software and hardware,im overcloking enthusiast but sadly i dont have enough financial cover for that kind of PC.Btw,im using tons of software optimizations ,so my cpu actually works faster than its supposed to...(automatic priority optimization,registry tweaks,additional critical/delayed threads and so on..)I never get server lag either,idk why u assumed that(50 ping all the time).Thanks for everything tho,i really appreciate it,you helped more than enough for fancycache :)
parrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parrot »

oh,almost forgot.What about the windows partition?,im planning on getting 4gb more ram soon.Do u think 128mb for windows partition will help? is there any reason i should put anything higher
parrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parrot »

also,should I disable Superfetch,cuz its doing the same thing as fancy cache,right? os its only wasting ram
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

parrot wrote:also,should I disable Superfetch,cuz its doing the same thing as fancy cache,right? os its only wasting ram
Never. Actully the window one does a better job as it atm as it release the ram once it is in use for the program.
parrot wrote:oh,almost forgot.What about the windows partition?,im planning on getting 4gb more ram soon.Do u think 128mb for windows partition will help? is there any reason i should put anything higher
Yes, once you have that much ram you could go 512MB for the OS (read/write caching) and 2GB for the data drive/Game drive. That will leave you with 4.5GB of ram left for your games/programs (-1GB as the OS will need that much for normal operations or 2.5GB in use).
parrot wrote:i meant overkill for the games..even the latest games i can run at max with 60fps,and i havent even overclocked my gpu.I am using PC since I was 2 years old,believe it or not,im 19 now.I love both software and hardware,im overcloking enthusiast but sadly i dont have enough financial cover for that kind of PC.Btw,im using tons of software optimizations ,so my cpu actually works faster than its supposed to...(automatic priority optimization,registry tweaks,additional critical/delayed threads and so on..)I never get server lag either,idk why u assumed that(50 ping all the time).Thanks for everything tho,i really appreciate it,you helped more than enough for fancycache :)
k*
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Violator »

parrot wrote:hey guys my PC is:
core i3 2120 3,3ghz
4GB ram ddr3 1333
250GB seagate 7200.10 hdd
320gm samsung 7200rpm hdd
Win 7 x64
GTX 480

I am using this pc entirely for gaming,mostly MMORPG games.Right now im playing Aion and I notice significant hiccups and slowdowns when entering new areas,hdd light constantly is red.When it loads everything tho its very smooth as expected.I used Fancy Cache volume edition and I set 256mb L1 cache LFU-R with 4kb block size and write deffer(10s) on my Windows partition.On my gaming partition I set 1gb l1 cache,LRU,4kb block size,read only.Please give me suggestions for both partitions.Also,setting too high L1 than this causes heavy pagefile use...,I hope this gets fixed in fancycache(it should stop using ram when windows runs out of it and goes to pagefile)

Now the other thing im really confused about is what's the point of speeding things the SECOND time they are loaded??Lets say that im playing an FPS game,it has 20 maps,i play each map 30 minutes,since the initial loading is same,I have to play 20x30min 6 HOURS of non-stop playing just to even touch the cache??(and even then,I probably wouldn't because that would require more than 20GB of cache lol) tell me if im wrong but if thats the case than this program is useless for gaming
You have a total of 4GB RAM dude, what makes you think that you should cache anything with such a small amount of ram?
Do you even have an idea the amount of textures that the game includes?
If anything you would have 4GB minimum LRU Read-Only just for the game disk.
With your current setup your swapping even more to the paging file than without the disk/volume cache, which just moves the bottle neck and makes performance even worse.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Spam post by romee reported