Primo RAMDisk vs. VSuite RAMDisk vs. FancyCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Primo RAMDisk vs. VSuite RAMDisk vs. FancyCache

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:As earlier we mainly focus on the DMM feature itself, I didn't introduce other options for simplicity.

Smart Image: because it only stores valid disk sectors, during startup loading, only valid data is copied to the ramdisk.
Delay Load: the image file data is loaded to the ramdisk only when needed (first read request), so it can work with DMM.

Remember that DMM is a feature which allocates memory on demand. That means if there's no read/write requests to the ramdisk, there will be no memory allocation caused.
Yes, but what I don't understand is why DMM won't work with Smart Image? For example the RMADisk size is 512MB and the saved Smart Image file size is 256MB (because of how Smart Image works), so during startup it will only need to load 256MB memory allocation. So why then won't DMM work?

And how would Delaying the load time thru Delay Load feature make DMM work?

No worries about simplicity, please explain even without simplicity since I want to understand in-depth.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

kevindd992002 wrote:Yes, but what I don't understand is why DMM won't work with Smart Image? For example the RMADisk size is 512MB and the saved Smart Image file size is 256MB (because of how Smart Image works), so during startup it will only need to load 256MB memory allocation. So why then won't DMM work?
Great, you have already found the answer by yourself. Smart Image can work with DMM, please see my previous posts.
kevindd992002 wrote:And how would Delaying the load time thru Delay Load feature make DMM work?
Delay Load does not mean delaying the load time. It means that loading the needed data from the image file to the ramdisk when the data is requested. For eg. assume that the ramdisk contains a file named FILE A. During startup, FILE A is in the image file and it is not loaded to the ramdisk. If later system needs FILE A, this file will then be loaded to the ramdisk. However, if system or other applications never use FILE A during this session, then this file won't be loaded to the ramdisk, accordingly, no memory will be allocated to hold this file.
For more details, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... delay-load
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:Yes, but what I don't understand is why DMM won't work with Smart Image? For example the RMADisk size is 512MB and the saved Smart Image file size is 256MB (because of how Smart Image works), so during startup it will only need to load 256MB memory allocation. So why then won't DMM work?
Great, you have already found the answer by yourself. Smart Image can work with DMM, please see my previous posts.
kevindd992002 wrote:And how would Delaying the load time thru Delay Load feature make DMM work?
Delay Load does not mean delaying the load time. It means that loading the needed data from the image file to the ramdisk when the data is requested. For eg. assume that the ramdisk contains a file named FILE A. During startup, FILE A is in the image file and it is not loaded to the ramdisk. If later system needs FILE A, this file will then be loaded to the ramdisk. However, if system or other applications never use FILE A during this session, then this file won't be loaded to the ramdisk, accordingly, no memory will be allocated to hold this file.
For more details, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... delay-load
Ok, gotcha.

So to summarize everything in terms of performance, Plain Image would be the fastest among all other options?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

When you run the program, you'll find that the Plain Image is labelled as recommended.
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:When you run the program, you'll find that the Plain Image is labelled as recommended.
Well, sometimes the settings that are labeled "recommended" are better only because they are compatible for all other settings but not necessary for best performance.