Proposal functions

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
XOR
Level 1
Level 1

Proposal functions

Post by XOR »

Hello,

I test Fancycache for disk, I use it on my laptop (hard drive at 5400 r / min), and I do a lot of manipulation and file transfer, with Francycache this is dynamite, but I think it would be even better with two options:

1 - Add with the deferred write option, adjusting for "use of extra memory" (if free) for transferring large files. Example, I have 4GB of memory, I use a write cache of 512 MB fixed, I have 2.3 GB free, I want that when transferring large files, Francycache take up to 1 GB additional then releases the 1 GB after the transfer is complete. And add an option that may not use additional memory if there are only 786Mo free ... With the adjustable options.

2 - Able to use a shared memory cache with multiple disks (not just a dedicated cache per drive as currently).

I think with these options, it will be the best program for disk cache.

Thank you
fsommer1968
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Proposal functions

Post by fsommer1968 »

Hi,

keeping in mind that Fancycache ist a cache on block level and not a file cache, therefore not aware of any "files": How can FC detect that a large files is transferred?
XOR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XOR »

I do not know how Fancycache is programmed, but now it happens good at detecting when the cache is full to start discharging in writing, why not include that one must begin to allocate more memory before unloading writing?

EDIT: Or maybe add an option with RAM at Level-2 (but I do not know if this memory will be released)
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

good idea wait developper answer to see if possible :)
brillao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brillao »

Hello,
I like the idea of a "shared memory cache with multiple disks", so to have a big common cache that will give better overall results, yay!