Re-configure without re-boot?

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
wpcoe
Level 2
Level 2

Re-configure without re-boot?

Post by wpcoe »

I'm not sure if this is a WAD feature, or something that can/should be changed?

Currently, if I set parameters and click on "Start Caching" but later want to change any settings, when I click on "Configure Caching," I'm advised that new settings won't be applied until after a reboot.

However, if I set parameters and click on "Start Caching," and want to change any settings but click "Stop Caching" first, then I can select new settings, press "Start Caching," and the new settings take immediate effect, without the need for reboot.

If the user is able to do this manually, why can't FancyCache do it automatically? e.g. When "Configure Caching" is clicked, why doesn't FancyCache stop caching on its own, then apply the new settings, and restart caching?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Re-configure without re-boot?

Post by Support »

"Stop Caching" will release all data which have been cached. This may not be wanted by some users.
wpcoe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wpcoe »

Hmmm. How about an option on the pop-up reminder to apply the changes immediately anyway, with a warning that data may be uncached? Something like:

Applying changes immediately without a reboot will cause currently cached data to be lost.
[Apply changes immediately] [Wait for next reboot for changes to take effect]

And, if you really wanted to be anal about it, a second pop-up, if the user selects "apply changes immediately:"

To proceed with this now will cause currently cached data to be lost.
[Yes, proceed with cached data loss now] [No, wait until next reboot to apply changes]
MrCache
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrCache »

Rebooting releases all cached data anyway, afaik?
wpcoe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wpcoe »

Yes, but I think support's concern was that with the current version, users can continue to use their systems with no loss of cached data, until they reboot.

I would like the option to just apply changes immediately, even if it entails losing cached data. Just add a choice to do so -- without multiple steps on my part -- would satisfy me. I already have to click [OK] to clear the pop-up. Just make it a Yes/No choice instead. (My suggestion for a second pop-up is perhaps a bit much, I now think.)
DemolitionMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DemolitionMan »

I agree, since a reboot releases all cached data anyway. It should absolutely be possible to change settings on the fly. Maybe with a confirmation dialog first to confirm what will happen. Afaik stopping caching also resets all your settings, which is pretty annoying.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you all. We'll add it in the next version.
brillao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brillao »

support wrote:"Stop Caching" will release all data which have been cached. This may not be wanted by some users.
I hope "Stop Caching" will flush-then-release all data which have been cached.
If not then I'm suggesting that.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

brillao wrote:I hope "Stop Caching" will flush-then-release all data which have been cached.
Yes, it does.