Accessing Invisible Memory

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Accessing Invisible Memory

Post by RRTRACKS »

I am having a couple of problems.

I removed the ram disc I had with Vsuite Ramdisk Version 4.6.3531.1240, but Primo Ramdisk shows no IM. I tried adding a disk with Primo thinking the IM might show up as on option, but it did not show. I rebooted the computer but this did not help. I went back into Vsuite Ramdisk and was able to create another Ram disk using IM with no problems. I removed that disk and tried to remove the Vsuite Ramdisk driver using unisdrv.exe with no sucess. Everytime I have run that program it has crashed even when run as administrator. So the two question I have are:

1. What do I have to do to get Primo Ramdisk to see IM ?

2. Since I plan on using Primo Ramdisk I would like to uninstall Vsuite Ramdisk. What options do I have for doing so. Is it possible with Regedit for instance?

Any assistance you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Accessing Invisible Memory

Post by Support »

Hi RRTRACKS,

The button to start the Invisible Memory is located in the bottom-left corner of the application.
uimmi.png
uimmi.png (7.88 KiB) Viewed 9610 times
Then you'll see the dialog below,
uimmi-1.png
uimmi-1.png (26.46 KiB) Viewed 9610 times
Click Enable IM to set the IM options,
uimmi-2.png
uimmi-2.png (30.68 KiB) Viewed 9610 times

"Global Options" defines the global IM settings while "Local Options" defines the settings for this product only.
If you sometimes leave the computer in hibernation or hybrid sleep, then tick "Support hibernation for Invisible Memory".

Now click Continue to start the IM.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

After you start the IM, you can use it when creating a ramdisk.
use-im.png
use-im.png (41.56 KiB) Viewed 9608 times
Tick "Use Invisible Memory" to use IM.

The Quota option defines the IM size limit for this ramdisk. For eg, if you set Quota to 1000MB, then the ramdisk use 1000MB IM at most even though you have 2000MB IM available.

A value of 0 means no quota limit.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

PS. Since the button of IM Management might not be noticed, we'll also place it to the "Options" menu in the next version.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Regarding the uninstallation of VSuite Ramdisk, you can run unins000.exe instead of unisdrv.exe. Alternatively, you can go to "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, find the VSuite Ramdisk item and then uninstall it.
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Thank you for the quick and most helpful replies. All is working well now. Just for your information, Primo Ramdisk would not enable invisible memory until I had uninstalled Vsuite Ramdisk (VR), even though it was not using any IM after a reboot. The exe file you recommended worked well for removing VR, I do not know how I missed it. Now for a few basic questions.

1. One of the main reasons I am using Primo Ramdisk (PR) is for providing ram for virtual memory. In setting this up is it necessary to disable paging to the hard drive (C: in my case) or is Windows smart enough to use the Ram drive first? What would you recommend for an initial size for the paging file?

2. With PR I noticed some variables were defined for Windows temp files. Would it be advisable to set some space aside for this and if so how much?

I have not gotten my additional memory yet, but am going to start experiementing with Fancy Cache now that the invisible memory conflict has been resolved.

All the Best,

Rich
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, in order to prevent the possible memory conflict, Primo Ramdisk will check if an program which does not support Unified Invisible Memory Management Interface (UIMMI) is managing IM before it takes control of IM. To let Primo Ramdisk enable IM, you can simply disable/uncheck the option "Enable OS Invisible Physical Memory" in VSuite Ramdisk. So it is not necessary to uninstall VSuite Ramdisk.

Regarding the paging files, I remember there are already some discussions in the forum. Please see
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=549&hilit=paging+files&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=594&p=1231&hilit=p ... iles#p1231

PS. If you place paging file to the ramdisk which uses IM, don't let your computer go into hybrid sleep or hibernation.

And regarding the Windows temp variables, some users, especially those SSD users, might set them to the ramdisks. But if doing so, please notice the ramdisk size because sometimes ramdisk might not have enough space to hold temporary files.
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Thanks again for the quick reply. Not to be difficult, but the "Enable OS Invisible Memory" option in VR was not checked while I had the memory conflict mentioned with PR. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit if that is of any help.

Regarding the temp files based upon your responce it appears using Ram for them is more of an issue for minimizing disk activity to a SSD than an overall speed isssue with Windows. Based upon your responce it seems the size of the temp files might be dependent upon the type of usage.

All the Best,

Rich
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

costello wrote:Why will my computer run with 2 1/2 GB of ram and not 3? I have been running 1 stick of 512 and 1 stick of 1 GB. I just bought a 2 GB stick and it will only run with the 512 and not at all with the 1 GB. My computer will run a max of 4 GB RAM. Any ideas why it will only run with the 512?
Is it possible that your 2GB stick does not work as expected?