Ram usage

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Ram usage

Post by minhgi »

Hello All,

I have notice that my Lenovo X220T is taking up allot of memory when using L2 cache for SSD.

Understanding that additional memory is needed due to the overhead for tracking and tracing; however, what amount I assign to the L2, the ram consumption goes up by that amount. If I assign 2GB to L2, ram would use that much after the cache had been fill up.

For instant, I assign 1GB for L1 and 2GB for L2; my ram usage would be 4KB 1GB L1 + 512MB (for overhead) + 2GB L2. My total ram usage would be 3.5GB just for caching.

My previous laptop on a Dell E6420 with the same setup did not have that problem. It would just 4K 1GB L1 + 512MB (for overhead) that is using up the ram.

Does anyone have the same problem?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ram usage

Post by Support »

Hi minhgi,

Can I ask how you check the ram usage?

Thanks.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Hello Support,

I am just using the normal Windows Task Manager, in the Performance tab. As soon as you start the cache, the memory usage would goes up by the same amount plus any additional overhead usage. L1 cache will show instantly; however, the L2 cache will not show immediately till it is fill up. The memory graph will stabilize, at a number, when it does. That is how I am able to tell that the L2 cache is also taking up memory where it should not.

Thanks,

minhgi
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Seems a little weird...We'll checking this issue and hope it can be reproduced at our site.

Many thanks for the feedback.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Thanks for looking into to it...
sparkler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sparkler »

i think ive reproduced this bug or maybe another one but fancycache hasn't disabled microsoft broken filesystem cache so when it writes to L2 the data gets cached and never released my cache has gone from 270mb to 2.3GB on sysinternals cacheset with 128mb L1 and 2gbL2
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

sparkler wrote:i think ive reproduced this bug or maybe another one but fancycache hasn't disabled microsoft broken filesystem cache so when it writes to L2 the data gets cached and never released my cache has gone from 270mb to 2.3GB on sysinternals cacheset with 128mb L1 and 2gbL2
Thanks...for confirm my fining. I would just use the L1 caching for now. Hopefully, the next release v.8 fix the problem and have the persistent caching implement. I really looking forward to speeding this baby of mine.
CosminNet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CosminNet »

sparkler wrote:i think ive reproduced this bug or maybe another one but fancycache hasn't disabled microsoft broken filesystem cache so when it writes to L2 the data gets cached and never released my cache has gone from 270mb to 2.3GB on sysinternals cacheset with 128mb L1 and 2gbL2
why do you say that windows filesystem caching is broken? had a issue with caching using utorrent, where it would report memory used as occupied (not as cache but as used by apps). i'm not saying that it's not but just want to know your take on this.
sparkler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sparkler »

CosminNet wrote:
why do you say that windows filesystem caching is broken? had a issue with caching using utorrent, where it would report memory used as occupied (not as cache but as used by apps). i'm not saying that it's not but just want to know your take on this.
its broken as it doesn't work as its supposed to its supposed to use ram to improve performance but instead whenever a program that does alot of reading/writing to disk especially involving large files uses it windows uses all ram available then when thats gone it takes ram from every other program running and puts it on the pagefile so you end up with a 16gb ram pc that runs the same as or slower than a similar pc with only 512mb ram
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Here my update to the ram usage when using L2 SSD and Diskeeper 2011 with version .80

I am pretty happy with the result. No longer during defragmentation does Fancycahe takes up all my free ram and making Windows 7 page out. During defrag the free ram hover around 1.5 to 2GB of memory left. That allow me to work and have programs open. After the defrag, Fancycache releases the memory back to Windows, about 2Gb worth. So my computer will have a total of 4GB to work with. Diskeeper would take about two minutes to defrag when first booting up and waking up from sleep. I guess the Windows 8 memory fix in v.80 finally fix that high memory issue after all.

My setting so far for Fancycache is 1GB of L1 @ 4k Ram and 8GB L2 SSD with R/W caching w/ delay 300sec. Having 4GB ram out of 8GB physical is awesome. Readyboost no longer necessary as the setting can hold my needed data in cache.

Thanks Fancycache :D