Recovering system drive maximum partiton capacity after making the process i will explain in this POST with PrimoCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
s1Ww4fwbe6YS
Level 1
Level 1

Recovering system drive maximum partiton capacity after making the process i will explain in this POST with PrimoCache

Post by s1Ww4fwbe6YS »

(All this processed has to be translated from english to spanish-mexico; because i made it on a Spanish mexico langauge pc withlatinoamerican keybaord layout and in a spanish "PrimoCahe" Software)First i reduced my Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Compilation 22621.2134 system drive( C: drive ) using Disk Management and then with the reduced space i created a new partition using Disk Management; in the new partition i created two 64 TB virtual disks using Disk Management and i created in the C: one partiton with 34 or 38 mb, one partiton with 34 or 38 GB and one partiton with 74 or 78 GB using Disk Management; then using a 64 TB virtual disk created in the partiton created with the reduced space to the C: drive using Disk Management i did a " Run as Administrator" with " PrimoCache " and in the window that appeared i left clicked on "Manage Level-2 Storage" and in the windows that appears i left clicked on "Create Level-2 Storage" and then i left clicked the 64 TB virtual disk created in the partiton created with the reduced space to the C: drive using Disk Management; selecting the letter that the pc assigned to it and then i left clicked on "Format" and then i left clicked "Yes" and then i left clicked "OK" and in the windows thati am currently i left clicked on the "x" icon and in the window that appeared i made clic on "Create a new cache task" and then i left clicked the C: drive and left clicked on Next and then on Preset Configurations i left clicked on Accelerate Read & Write and in Level-2 Cache i left cliked in the database symbol withan orange image and i dragged with the mouse pointer the symbol that was pointing a symbol differnet to 50% to the 50% and then i left clicked on "OK" and in the option to choose Block Size i selected the maximum size and then i left clicked on "Start" and then i copied all the files in a folder in C: drive in another folder of the same drive; then i tried to run some programs and the only one that runned was my os installed by default app: "File Explorer" y put my pc to restart but before my pc restarted i aborted the restart and the "PrimoCache" software didn´t even stopped running a process and then my pc had an unknown blue screen error and automatically restarted; after i executed "PrimoCache" and it was showing the same that showed in the window that appeared after i clicked the last "Start" Button in the process i made in "PrimoCache" then i tried to mount the 64 TB virtual disk i used in the mentioned "PrimoCache" Process and it got an unknown error( the errors i wrote and i will write that where unknown are errors that shows something i don´t remember what was; i don´t know if they showed unknown errors as the errors concerned); and then i deleted all the virtual disk from the locations i created them; and then from Disk Management i deleted the partition i created from C: drive space and then i resized it giving maximum possible storage capacity from Disk Management but i got an unknown error and in the lower part of the Disk Management app shows my C: storage capacity different from every other parts where i saw that; and i ask how to recover the storage capacity my pc in its parts says my C: drive has based on what storage capacity shows it has in the lower part of the Disk Management app ?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Recovering system drive maximum partiton capacity after making the process i will explain in this POST with PrimoCac

Post by Support »

Sorry but the translated article looks a bit confusing. Can you tell me how the two 64TB virtual disks were created using disk management? What is your drive capacity? Can you upload a disk management screenshot showing the problematic drive?
s1Ww4fwbe6YS
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Recovering system drive maximum partiton capacity after making the process i will explain in this POST with PrimoCac

Post by s1Ww4fwbe6YS »

In the space in the Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Compilation 22621.2134 s that has to its left the magnifying glass and where you can write; write "Disk Management" and then in the result that says: "Disk Management" make right clic and then left clic "Run as administrator" and then in the prompt window i opened the Action menu, i selected Create VHD. Under Location, i selected the Browse button and located the folder you want to store the VHD ( The folder was the root folder of the partition i created with a part of C: drive space)
Entered a name for the drive in the File name field( i don´t remeber exactly how i called it; but i called it as something similar to "espacio para acelerar la copia con PrimoCache) that name is in spanish and in english means: space to accelerate the PrimoCache copy.)
Selected Virtual Disk files (*.vhd) from the Save as type dropdown menu.
Selected Save.
Entered the file size under Virtual hard disk size.( i entered 64 TB as drive size)

Selected Dynamically expanding.

Selected OK to finish.

and then i made left clic in "Initialize Disk" and then i Selected the disk from the list. i Checked the GPT (GUID Partition Table); then i clicked on OK Clicked Next then Specified the size of the partition. I Left this option unchanged vecause i let me use all the available space for the partition.)
Clicked Next. and in the window that prompted i clicked Next. and in the window thaqt prompeted after that i clicked Next. and that was the process i made for creating both 64 TB virtual disks in "Disk Management"; my drive was made as a 256 GB storage device; there is in this post unique scrrenshot; my a "Disk Management" screenshot showing the problematic drive
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-14 160015.png
Screenshot 2023-08-14 160015.png (55.92 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

What is the nominal capacity of your disk where the C: drive is located? If I understand correctly, you created a 64TB virtual disk on the C drive, which is much larger than the host disk capacity, and then you use this virtual disk as the L2 cache for the C drive, right?
s1Ww4fwbe6YS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by s1Ww4fwbe6YS »

my disk nominal capacity is 238.41 GB yes, i certainly created a 64TB virtual disk on the C drive, which is much larger than the host disk capacity, and then i used this virtual disk as the L2 cache for the C drive
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

s1Ww4fwbe6YS wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:35 pm my disk nominal capacity is 238.41 GB
I see the disk capacity is 238.46GB and the drive C has 237.69GB from the screenshot of your disk management. It's almost same as the nominal capacity, is there storage space lost?

PS. L2 cache is designed to use fast disks to speed up slow disks. It doesn't make sense to use a disk to cache itself. In addition, the performance of virtual disks are lower than that of the host disk, so using a virtual disk to cache its host drive will degrade the performance instead.