multiple l2 with different individual settings possible?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
technot
Level 1
Level 1

multiple l2 with different individual settings possible?

Post by technot »

Hi.
First of all, this software is handsdown the best 30 dollars ever spent.
It has given new life to my old raid5 (7 x 3TB SAS2 + 1 hotspare) on a old IBM M5110 PCIe raid controller.
The controller has a 1GB DDR2-based cache addon card.
The speedgains for such a drive using priomocache is just insane across the board.

I have setup 12GB L1 and all of it shared read/write.
I have setup 128GB L2 wich is taken from a samsung 980 pro and also all of it is shared read/write.
And this ofc has improved my speeds across the board for all metrics by a magnitude of insanity, just out of this world.
So I am by all means allready very happy just with the current setup.
I have also added a 16GB L1 only for the system drive that lives on the 980 pro.

My question tho, is it possible to setup multiple L2's but with individual settings within the same cache task?
Example, setup one L2 that is used purely for write, and another L2 purely for read?
or even, setup one L2 that is 80/20 write/read, and another L2 that is 100% read?

In my usecase, the raid's read speed is acceptable even before using primocache, but the write speed is just deplorable without.
So what I would like to achive is setting up 1x L2 on my fastest drive that is used purely to speed up the raids write, but then setup a second L2 on a slower sata ssd and use that purely to speed up reads.
This way i would get greatly increased write speed(I allready have this now) but also be able to have a big ssd read cache to improve access time, read iops and multithread reads.
A setting like this would greatly improve the flexibility of the cache aswell. Where one can choose a combination of medias to cache up a device based on individual needs. (The L2 setting of individual read/write allready gives this flexibility but not it seems to not be possible to have this setting different for different L2's, and either way it looks like each cache task can only take advantage of 1 L2 at a time?)

Best regards,
technot
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: multiple l2 with different individual settings possible?

Post by Support »

Sorry for the late reply due to the Chinese New Year holiday this week.
technot wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:26 pm My question tho, is it possible to setup multiple L2's but with individual settings within the same cache task?
Currently one cache task can only support one L2. However, you can combine multiple SSDs into one volume (RAID or soft raid or dynamic disks) first and then use it as one L2. You can also setup individual R/W ratio for this L2.