SimonCole
Level 1
Level 1

Primocache and upcoming DirectStorage gaming API

Post by SimonCole »

Intel 13600K
B660 Aorus Master DDR4
32GB 3600mHz DDR4 Ram
1TB WD SN850X (Location of OS - Windows 11)
246GB NVME Power Silicon A60 (L2 cache)
10TB HDD (cached disk)

Will the new DirectStorage APIs work with Primocache?
...the ones planned to speed up gaming frame rates etc (GPU to SSD). I have heard that 1TB NVME is required, is so can this be a cached volume?
...would it matter if your cached volume is just 256GB?

What is YOUR experience of the best cache size for a gaming drive?
Is my meagre 256GB NVME large enough or should I switch to a 500GB SATA Samsung 850 Pro?

Any other advice?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primocache and upcoming DirectStorage gaming API

Post by Support »

SimonCole wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:41 pm Will the new DirectStorage APIs work with Primocache?
We will support it in the next release which is planned to come out in Q1 this year.
SimonCole wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:41 pm ...the ones planned to speed up gaming frame rates etc (GPU to SSD). I have heard that 1TB NVME is required, is so can this be a cached volume?
...would it matter if your cached volume is just 256GB?
DirectStorage requires NVME drives to store games. It doesn't work with HDDs even though they are cached by a NVMe drive.
SimonCole wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:41 pm What is YOUR experience of the best cache size for a gaming drive?
Is my meagre 256GB NVME large enough or should I switch to a 500GB SATA Samsung 850 Pro?
It is recommended that the cache size be 20% or more of the data amount in target drives.
SimonCole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SimonCole »

Thank you @Support
Rootax
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rootax »

For the record, a DirectStorage demo is already avalaible, you can find it in this Beyond3d topic : https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/next ... st-2282011 , a few post above. I'm the Rootax from B3D. With primocache on, well, the data cached is coming from the ram instead of the drive, so everything is already normal I guess.
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

Currently, I am playing Forspoken on PC, which is using DirectStorage. Very likely Primocache is already handling it quite well. I have a config of 32 GB cache / 64 GB total RAM. During a gaming session, the disk usage is huge, about 300GB read in 2 hours of play. Most likely it is related to DirectStorage and luckily about 40% comes from the cache. The game comes now with a free PC demo (Steam, Epic Store etc.) if anyone is willing to give it a try.