primocache 4.2.0 Hanging on delete cache volume

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

primocache 4.2.0 Hanging on delete cache volume

Post by npelov »

I wanted to remove a volume from cache task, but keep the cache task. I right-clicked, then delete cache this volume and a progress bar appeared and never stopped. It's been 10-15 hours, so I think the program is hanged. I can't close it and I'm afraid to restart.

And I have another question. Can you rename the "delete cache (this volume)" to "remove volume from this task". Delete seams like you are deleting the task. Remove volume sounds less aggressive.
Shoonay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: primocache 4.2.0 Hanging on delete cache volume

Post by Shoonay »

Yup, happened to me a couple of times also when swapping disks/ upgrading hardware.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

This might be related to defer-write. It seems that PrimoCache was flushing deferred write-data to disks before stopping/removing the cache, but something went wrong. We will check this.
npelov wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:55 am Can you rename the "delete cache (this volume)" to "remove volume from this task". Delete seams like you are deleting the task. Remove volume sounds less aggressive.
Thank you for your advice. We will consider it.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Yes this has happened to me a few times also. With me it occurs when I reset the cache content.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

RobF99 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:21 pm Yes this has happened to me a few times also. With me it occurs when I reset the cache content.
Thanks for letting us know. We have raised the priority of this issue.
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick7 »

RobF99 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:21 pm Yes this has happened to me a few times also. With me it occurs when I reset the cache content.
Yep... happened to me too.
poolsharkboone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poolsharkboone »

Happened with me as well. I've spent hours trying to recover full usage of various SSDs/HDDs to no avail. Is there a solution to simply "reformat" the SSDs/HDDs I was "tinkering" with during the trial process as to completely remove any residual effects from the Primocache application? From what I've read, I see folks having to delete and "recreate" the cache task that they had previously used. I've tried that to no avail. Recommendations? Can I simply "format" the disks to regain their fuctionality for basic usage (without primocache) or am I just dead in the water for those SSDs?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@poolsharkboone, Have you tried Windows Disk Management? See
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... ml#convert
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

poolsharkboone wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:47 pm Happened with me as well. I've spent hours trying to recover full usage of various SSDs/HDDs to no avail. Is there a solution to simply "reformat" the SSDs/HDDs I was "tinkering" with during the trial process as to completely remove any residual effects from the Primocache application? From what I've read, I see folks having to delete and "recreate" the cache task that they had previously used. I've tried that to no avail. Recommendations? Can I simply "format" the disks to regain their fuctionality for basic usage (without primocache) or am I just dead in the water for those SSDs?
You should be able to use the CLEAN command using DISKPART. It should completely clean and clear any information on that drive and completely reset it. Caution - ensure you issue the CLEAN command on the correct disk because it does not give you a prompt to confirm.

Incidentally, it doesn't repair all issues. e.g. I had two SSD's as RAID 0 dynamic disks for L2. I had this same PrimoCache hanging problem at one point and had to restart my computer and I can no longer create RAID 0 that PrimoCache recognizes. I have tried everything and cannot correct it without completely setting up my system from scratch. I see there is a corruption and tried everything to fix but cannot. But it seems this hang problem does contribute to some issues that are difficult to fix.