Problem with striped drives for L2

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Problem with striped drives for L2

Post by RobF99 »

I am not sure if this is a PrimoCache problem or a Windows problem. I had an L2 200 Mb striped drive from two SanDisk SSDs. After a power outage something was affected because now if I setup a striped L2, after a reboot it becomes disabled and disappears from the L2 Storage List. I then have to go into disk management, assign a drive letter and then have to create the L2 again. If I try to just delete the stripe before i have reassigned a drive letter it says the drive is offline. So it seems like PrimoCache still has partial possession of the drive in some way. It is even in the Cache Configuration screen but just named with a list of upper case alpha-numeric characters. e.g. BD095762-ETC-ETC. But it is not in the storage list.

The problem does not occur with a basic disk.

Windows itself handles the striped drive fine. If it has a drive letter and I reboot it still recognizes the drive.

I removed the drives, reset and reinitialized the drives with Powershell. I removed PrimoCache and reinstalled. I even reinstalled Windows 10 as an upgrade over the current installation.

Any advice on where else I can look to try to solve the problem? Where might I find the identity of the string of characters by which it then names the drive? It is not in the registry.

I can still use it for L2 as a basic drive but once you experience the added speed of striped for PrimoCache L2, you can't go back to basic disc L2.

Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Problem with striped drives for L2

Post by Support »

You may do following checks first to see if your Windows have any issues.
https://kb.romexsoftware.com/en-us/3-ge ... ows-system

It seems that Windows or hardware still have corrupted information.
RobF99 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:39 pm It is even in the Cache Configuration screen but just named with a list of upper case alpha-numeric characters. e.g. BD095762-ETC-ETC
When a L2 cache drive is not available, PrimoCache just show its GUID in the cache configuration to indicate that the cache was configured with a L2 drive but not available now. So this is not the issue.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem with striped drives for L2

Post by RobF99 »

You are correct. I even took a drive from another system and replaced one of the drives and still have the problem. It works fine if the striped drive is a regular volume and survives the reboot but when a striped drive becomes formatted with PrimoCache it is not recognized by Windows after reboot. It says offline and I cannot delete the drive unless I assign a drive letter.

I've tried everything I could with Diskpart but still no luck. I guess I will just settle with Basic drive for L2.