Ramdisk Server version on a Win7 desktop

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
December
Level 1
Level 1

Ramdisk Server version on a Win7 desktop

Post by December »

Can the 64bit Server edition be used with the same fuctionality as the Professional 64bit version on a Windows 7 desktop?

I love what I've experienced trialing the Pro version on my desktop but am not running a server. However the >4gb ramdisk size capability is very appealing as long as it's compatible and all else is the same as what the Pro version offers. Currently I don't have enough available ram to test drive a >4gb ramdisk using the server version at this point.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ramdisk Server version on a Win7 desktop

Post by Support »

Hi,

Yes, the Server Edition can run on Win7 desktop.
December
Level 1
Level 1

Post by December »

I'm testing the server edition right now but am getting an error when trying to load or create a ramdisk >1556 mb. Currently I have 4.8gb of ram "available", and 4.2gb of ram "free", and have tested most options for loading/creating a disk, but this for some reason is the cutoff in each case.

Error adding a new ramdisk!
This may be caused by insufficient memory resource. Please check your system.

The thing is, I just uninstalled the Pro version in order to install the server version, which I was using a 3gb ramdisk.

When testing last night, this error happened as well. I reverted back to the Pro version and got the same resource error and couldn't load my previous 3gb ramdisk that it had created. I had to revert back to a saved backup image of the system partition in order to get the Pro version working again.

Any ideas what might be causing this error with both versions and how to get rid of it?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Can you tell us the below inoformation?

1) Hardware: Server Model/Type? or CPU/Motherboard/installed physical
2) Widows OS?
December
Level 1
Level 1

Post by December »

Asus P6x56d-e, i7-950, 6gb, Win 7 Pro 64bit.

I've loaded various system partition backup images and I've learned that on or before 12/24, I was able to remove/add large ramdisks (even uninstall/install the software) without an issue. I installed Win7 shortly before that. But some time after 12/24 something changed in the system that is making software believe there isn't enough available ram. It's also not unique to VSuite, the limitation exists when using a competitor's ramdisk software as well.

Unless you have any suggestions, what I think I need to do is revert back to a week ago where everything works properly, slowly make the changes that I've made since, and try to see where the behavior first occurs. I've unfortunately made a lot of changes and additions in the past week since this is a new/first win7 installation.

The first place I'm going to check beforehand tho is to see what services I might have disabled which I thought I didn't need, and try enabling them see if they are the cause.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

December wrote:Unless you have any suggestions, what I think I need to do is revert back to a week ago where everything works properly, slowly make the changes that I've made since, and try to see where the behavior first occurs. I've unfortunately made a lot of changes and additions in the past week since this is a new/first win7 installation.
I am sorry that I have no ideas on which applications might cause this issue...