Windows 11 and Direct Storage

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
KaffeemitZimt
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 11 and Direct Storage

Post by KaffeemitZimt »

With Windows 11 around the corner and its exklusive support of Direct Storage it got me thinking about my Primocache Setup. Currently i use a 980 pro nvme as lvl. 2 cache for my system. As well as for slower Sata SSDs as for good old HDDs. Will Direct Storage be able to use the lvl2 cache (nvme) for a game installed on a hdd? Or will i need to install it directly on some nvme for direct storage to be usable?

Thx!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Windows 11 and Direct Storage

Post by Support »

KaffeemitZimt wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:48 pm Will Direct Storage be able to use the lvl2 cache (nvme) for a game installed on a hdd?
I don't think so.
Logic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Logic »

Support wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:19 am I don't think so.
I'd work on that if I were Primocache.
Direct storage is on of the most anticipated features of Win 11 and you will NOT be selling Primo to any gamers if Direct Storage and similar from Nvidia and AMD are not supported!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Logic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:04 am I'd work on that if I were Primocache.
Direct storage is on of the most anticipated features of Win 11 and you will NOT be selling Primo to any gamers if Direct Storage and similar from Nvidia and AMD are not supported!
Windows 11 introduces an upgraded OS storage stack for DirectStorage. Currently Microsoft only open its new DirectStorage API to game developers. We are waiting for more technical documents from Microsoft.
thc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thc »

Haha, I had not noticed this thread xD. I agree with the mate that DirectStorage is perhaps the most attractive concept for gamers in this Win11. I am not an expert but I would swear that this new api is not going to change things much, PrimoCache will remain invisible, as long as Windows sees the nvme driver ... haha, fingers crossed, 'Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen', haha.
thc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thc »

It seems that an explicit function has been leaked from the DirectStorage api:

static void DirectStorage()
{
if (system_uses_primocache())
{
Do(); //haha
return;
}

const uint64 min_size = 1099511627776; // minimun nvme size for directstorage (1 TB (bytes))
bool nvme = system_uses_nvme_drv();

if (nvme && min_size)
{
Do();
return;
}

throw warning("your system does not support DirectStorage, but you are doing really well"; //haha
}

It's a joke, fingers crossed, fingers crossed, haha