Does having more Ram for l1 cache and nvme size help l2

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
djcrossfade
Level 1
Level 1

Does having more Ram for l1 cache and nvme size help l2

Post by djcrossfade »

im going to upgrade from a few drives that are 8tb to one drive thats 8tb and i wanted to know if having more ram set to cache for l1 would help.
also does having a 1tb nvme help more than just having 112 gb nvme
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Does having more Ram for l1 cache and nvme size help l2

Post by Support »

Generally speaking, bigger cache size, better performance. This is because with bigger cache size you can cache more data.
Also L1 cache, as well as a bigger L2 always help. But how much they will help depends on your real scenario, for eg. how much data are often accessed.
phat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Does having more Ram for l1 cache and nvme size help l2

Post by phat »

Windows does some RAM caching already, so you'll gain most with L2 SSD caching. Windows RAM caching seems to be dynamic, allowing apps to take over all of RAM if they need to, while I think PrimoCache reserves a fixed portion of your RAM for caching. I personally have disabled L1 caching in PrimoCache, using it only for L2 SSD caching, to maximize the RAM for apps.

A larger SSD can improve caching performance, even if the SSD cache size stays fixed, as long as you leave most of the SSD empty. This is because most SSDs use multilevel cells these days, which are slow to write to, but they only go multilevel when they run short of free space. But you really do need to keep most of your SSD empty to avoid hitting the multilevel slowdown. Also, some expensive SSDs like high end Samsungs don't slow down as much when they fill up, so upsizing won't improve performance as much as with lower-end SSDs.

(This is from experience and a bit of extrapolation. I may be wrong on some points.)