More Detections Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
r4ndonsg4mers
Level 1
Level 1

More Detections

Post by r4ndonsg4mers »

:idea: Please, I come to this topic to ask you to please, please make the primocache detect and improve the networked disks, please! thanks, did you say please? thanks!
(the server operates Ubuntu 18.04)
I've been waiting for this day for years ... :oops:
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: More Detections

Post by Jaga »

If a network disk is mounted using iSCSI, it will be fully supported. Primocache works at the cluster/block level, so probably couldn't ever support a non-iSCSI disk. The way around that is to buy and install a copy of Primocache on the target network computer that serves the network disk to others, so that it's content can be cached.

Romex is considering Linux support, but there is no ETA on the horizon.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The working mechanism in network mapped drives is completely different from that in local or iSCSI drives. It is not so easy to support network mapped drives in PrimoCache. We have already addressed this request and will try to work out a solution for it. Thanks.
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

Post by npelov »

I don't know how possible it is to cache network drives (like samba), but caching on the remote computer doesn't do much. If I share RAM drive it's still slow for small files. The bottle neck is the protocol. I don't know why, but it's extremely slow accessing 1000s of small files - like 10 to 100 times slower. If you ever do that it'll be a huge deal.
horizon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by horizon »

Just copying what I stated elsewhere on network drives:
  • On the client machine (while accessing fileshares): You might be interested in Windows Transparrent cache feature, which relies on Client Side Cache (CSC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2UAMj28j7w
  • On the client machine (while accessing fileshares): You might want to prefill CSC using Offline Files feature and use them in Online Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3MrGRgcXzk
  • On the client machine (while accessing fileshares): In corporate environments, you might want to leverage CSC also by using Branchcache feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDN2c6FaaU
  • Of course, if you store CSC on Primocache-accelerated volume, it helps a little bit.
  • Of course, if the data needs to be fetched over the network and they are stored on server on Primocache-accelerated volume, it might help a bit as well.
  • Be aware that there are plenty of limitations, with no (easy) solution. (e.g. CSC does accelerate writes, if you (with offline files) end up in offline mode, you might also end up with the need to solve synchronization conflicts.)