QLC NVME Raid

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Shadowarez
Level 3
Level 3

QLC NVME Raid

Post by Shadowarez »

i know alot of people say there is no point raiding nvme drives since there so fast already, but i was thinking of a storage project,
im thinking i have a Asus Hyper m.2 card with 4 2tb intel 660p nvme drives. i was thinking of using l1 cache and L2 to offset the penalty of the QLC,

1. Asus hyper m.2 pcie 16x
2,intel 660p 2TBx4 raid 0
3, intel DC 3700 1.6tb (L2 Cache)
4. 32 gb L1 Cache (ram)

the idea is to keep the drives fast while writing larger video files, main os drive is a intel 905p 380gb optane nvme,
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: QLC NVME Raid

Post by Jaga »

Just chiming in with my .02 here - I don't use RAID anymore except in very special circumstances. When I want to combine several drives to mimic a larger one, I use Stablebit's Drivepool software.

You can then create Cache Tasks in Primocache on the underlying drives (just not the pool drive), and use the resulting pool drive as a single storage target that spans all drives inside it.

I guess the question is: just how fast do you need the array/pool to be? And do you feel at risk using RAID, where even one error on a rebuild can trash the data completely?
Shadowarez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shadowarez »

ahh ok so can i theoretically load these as jbod, with that software and use primo to use a nice healthy portion of ram help with QLC Nand differences?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Yep, you absolutely could. That's how I do it on this end, and it works quite well.
Shadowarez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shadowarez »

ok ty for that ill get some testing done once get the last few drives in, see how it works and if its possible to negate QLC with this lol thatd be awsome.
bkostas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bkostas »

did you make your project work?
I am also interested in Asus Hyper card.
Shadowarez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shadowarez »

i just tried this gong to try it on my old amd duel cpu server it has 256gbs of ram. need to do some pics as i successfully negated the extremely slow speeds after the cache is gone. speeds stayed constant after 8 runs in hd tune before and after.

adding a 120gb samsung 840 pro as L2 Cache and adding 4gb of ram made the QLC drives behave like samsung drives it was stupid fast this software works amazingly,

and it answered my question can i negate the downside of QLC and yes it can very very well, now the only question is when will QLC drives become cost effective as they are still as much as Evo/Pro samsung drives.