Using one L2 storage disk for multiple drives

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
DARKKi
Level 1
Level 1

Using one L2 storage disk for multiple drives

Post by DARKKi »

Just started using PrimoCache after i heard good things about it and so far i love it! But i have few questions though.

Right now i use 8gb read/write L1 for my boot/windows drive which is speedy nvme SSD. Is it recommended to have it as read/write or only read or write?

Other question is that can i allocate defined amount of space of one L2 Storage disk i have to two or three Cache tasks? I mean that can PrimoCache "detect" that same drive is being used for multiple tasks and not just trash the disk with lot of simultaneous commands and hurt the speed?

I know that i could add whole drive for all these 2 or 3 drivers but then i could not control invidual drives size and cluster size. as two of these drives are for downloads i would only need 50gb cache for each one as other one has constant net downloads coming to it so having deferred writing with high latency. Other drive is data drive where i would only need max 50gb deferred write-caching with really large blocksize. And the last drive would be where my games are which would have 100gb read/write cache with 4k blocksize.

Sorry, English is not my primary language so i hope i made sense :]

edit: added more info.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Using one L2 storage disk for multiple drives

Post by Support »

DARKKi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm Right now i use 8gb read/write L1 for my boot/windows drive which is speedy nvme SSD. Is it recommended to have it as read/write or only read or write?
For the system drive, you may use read/write caching. And if the system drive doesn't contain any personal data and well backed-up, you may enable Defer-Write which will increase writing performance a lot and reduce writes to target disks.
DARKKi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm Other question is that can i allocate defined amount of space of one L2 Storage disk i have to two or three Cache tasks? I mean that can PrimoCache "detect" that same drive is being used for multiple tasks and not just trash the disk with lot of simultaneous commands and hurt the speed?
Yes, one L2 storage volume is able to support 16 cache tasks.
DARKKi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DARKKi »

Thanks for the reply!

I have been using PrimoCache so far and it has provided fantastical results for me so thanks a lot for this product! Will be buying it within a week too :]

I had few more questions too.

1. If i have set some L2 cache to write-only does it read-cache if it hits something that is already in L2?

2. Is it possible to add these options in future versions? In volume specifications, would it be possible to add block size, defer-write latency, read/write percentage and cache size to be selected for invidual drives? Reason i ask it would be nice to have multiple drives in same cache task so they could share the same cache.

3. I noticed if i pause L1 cache it does not "release" the memory? Am i wrong or how would i do this?

And thanks again for this fantastical product and sorry for my English!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

DARKKi wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am 1. If i have set some L2 cache to write-only does it read-cache if it hits something that is already in L2?
Yes.
DARKKi wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am 2. Is it possible to add these options in future versions? In volume specifications, would it be possible to add block size, defer-write latency, read/write percentage and cache size to be selected for invidual drives?
Sorry, only defer-write latency might be able to vary based on individual drives.
DARKKi wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am 3. I noticed if i pause L1 cache it does not "release" the memory? Am i wrong or how would i do this?

Pause means temporarily stopping using the cache, but cached data still be in memory.
If you want to release memory, you need to delete the cache task or remove the drive from the cache task.