Enable deferred-writes causes crashing

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
tjburton
Level 1
Level 1

Enable deferred-writes causes crashing

Post by tjburton »

I'm having a problem with enabling deferred writes. If I check the box, my system will slow down and finally crash within 30 seconds. I have even done a full reinstall of Windows 10 Pro, but it still crashes my computer. I have tried updating all my drivers also. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Enable deferred-writes causes crashing

Post by Jaga »

What kind of hardware are you working with, including the drive(s)? And what kind of writing is the computer doing after you turn on deferred writes? Also, can you screenshot your Primocache config and deferred write settings?
Babel17
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Babel17 »

I second the motion for a screenie of your settings. There used to be a glitch in a Batman game that crashed your system if it had less than 16 GB of ram. That has me wondering if, as an experiment, you have enough ram to use PrimoCache while allowing Windows 16 GB of ram for itself and programs to use. It will be interesting if that worked OK, and it might indicate that you have a buggy piece of software running in the background.

Anyway, it is often the case that the process of elimination, or starting from scratch with nothing, has to be used until the factor that's causing this can be identified. It could come down to a piece of hardware that has driver issues, or just a piece of background software, like the many that are connected to playing video games.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

You might want to think of all the programs that you have install on the computer that could manipulate file write. Uninstall them and enable the deferred writes. Install those program one by one. also PC is overclock, well just set to factory to test.

Example: Any program that have background process that use to scan, monitor, or alter file write
Sata/raid drivers, Antivirus, defragment tool (diskeeper, perfectdisk), Backup solution (Acronis), other caching utility, VMWare WorkStation, clean utilities
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Is there any dump file found for the crash? Please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/know ... -file.html
And please upload a screenshot of the PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics. Thanks.
tjburton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tjburton »

It's a dell latitude 5175 tablet. Intel Core M5-6Y57, 4gb ram. 128GB Hynix M2/SATA drive. I am trying to just set up a small read/write (with delay) of 256mb. It used to work up to not too long ago. Maybe MS changed something in one of the updates? I just had not had time to play around with trying to figure out why it stopped. Plus the last time I played around with it... it caused my whole system to crash requiring a total system reinstall.

I enabled the write delays and could not get screenshots before the system stopped responding and crashed. I have attached the screen dump to this reply.
Attachments
011220-13343-01.zip
(286.31 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the information! Could you upload a screenshot of the PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics for our reference?
tjburton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tjburton »

support wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:02 am Thank you for the information! Could you upload a screenshot of the PrimoCache main dialog which shows the cache configuration and statistics for our reference?
This is without deferred writes though... it will crash as soon as I enable it.
Attachments
primo1.jpg
primo1.jpg (300.55 KiB) Viewed 12077 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We checked the minidump file, but the crash happened in other module (audiodg.exe), not directly on PrimoCache. It seems that the crash was caused by stack overflow. We are wondering that low system free memory might be related to this unexpected error, though I'm sorry that so far we have no idea on why enabling defer-write caused this issue. We'll do further study on this. Thanks.