Almost a year since last update? Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
uBlast
Level 2
Level 2

Almost a year since last update?

Post by uBlast »

I am a bit disappointed with PrimoCache development. Almost one year since the last update says a lot of things for me. Is the software totally bug free? Cause almost a year without any fix or improvement means that or the program is perfect the way it is now, or updates are just lazy for both fixes and new features. This section of suggestions is full of good ideas like the possibility to choose an individual app to be cached not depending on current "most used programs" learning way to work. I like PrimoCache, Im a lifetime license user and just would like to see more active development, no ofense.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Almost a year since last update?

Post by Support »

We are preparing the version 4.0. I'm sorry for the delay in new version. Most features and problems remaining to be implemented or solved are quite complicated and require big changes on the program's code architecture. So we have to be very careful about these changes and do lots of feasibility study and testing. We also appreciate your kind support to us, and we'll do our best to complete the new version as soon as possible.
Novox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Novox »

I was about to purchase PrimoCache until I saw this post. I too am concerned about the lack of patches or updates in almost a year. I guess it's possible PrimoCache hasn't needed updates, but with ALL the issues Microsoft has had or introduced in the past year with Windows Updates, I'm having a hard time believing PrimoCache hasn't been affected (though I am currently running the 3.0.9 trial in Windows 10 1903).

Also, one of the first posts by support in the post about 3.0.9's release almost a year ago is, "We're also working on the 3.1.x branch which will bring more features and performance improvements."

Even with my M.2 NVMe main hard drive, I'm noticing performance improvements, so I like what I see so far, but the scarcity of updates is concerning.

Is there a target release date for either v3.1.x or v4?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We plan the new version coming out within this year. Thanks.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Novox wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:35 pm I was about to purchase PrimoCache until I saw this post. I too am concerned about the lack of patches or updates in almost a year.
With a product that's been around as long as Primocache (which was originally called FancyCache), there's less and less to do on future updates. Mostly it becomes feature considerations and feasibility testing, which draws out the "patch/update" process to be that much longer.

Primocache is a highly robust, flexible, and stable piece of software. Expecting a 6-month update schedule isn't too realistic. I've been using the package on multiple machines for the last 7-8 (?) years and I can say from personal experience - there is nothing as good out there. I trust production-environment machines to it's code.
rcamarda390
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rcamarda390 »

Careful for what you wish for...
Remember this is disk caching software. There can not be any bugs when it comes to storage. Most other software can have bugs, and we can work around.
We can not have problems with PC where we question the integrity of our data.
That said, I look forward to response of my suggestion for Elevator Sorts on write back :)
uBlast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uBlast »

rcamarda390 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:48 pm Careful for what you wish for...
Remember this is disk caching software. There can not be any bugs when it comes to storage. Most other software can have bugs, and we can work around.
We can not have problems with PC where we question the integrity of our data.
That said, I look forward to response of my suggestion for Elevator Sorts on write back :)
It´s not just about fixing known or possible bugs, but the overall improvements and new features. I think PrimoCache development entered a "comfort zone" cause of the lack of competition on this segment. And just refreshing, one year (and counting) without updates... And please do not come with the excuses of being a "bug free software solid as a rock". How about the new promised features? Sorry but this is just lame...at this point can we expect a new version before 2021?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

uBlast wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:24 pmIt´s not just about fixing known or possible bugs, but the overall improvements and new features. I think PrimoCache development entered a "comfort zone" cause of the lack of competition on this segment. And just refreshing, one year (and counting) without updates... And please do not come with the excuses of being a "bug free software solid as a rock". How about the new promised features? Sorry but this is just lame...at this point can we expect a new version before 2021?
Remember that Romex sells it's products on a "lifetime updates" basis, meaning we aren't paying recurring costs for updates and improvements. If we were I'd expect a faster schedule, but given how good their software is.. they're doing us a favor in this case. Regular lifetime fixes and upgrades, even if slower, are more than worth the cost of the software.

No idea if Romex has considered a faster schedule for a recurring (minor) cost. Companies have to be careful when they do that, as they lose out on the segment of the market that just can't afford to keep pumping money into upgrades.
uBlast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uBlast »

support wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 am We plan the new version coming out within this year. Thanks.
Well 30/12/2019 is almost there, so don´t forget the candles for the "1 year without updates" special anniversary cake.
Strela10M
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Strela10M »

I was wondering, when is that update coming? It'd be quite a nice hing to have, PrimoCache is nice, but there's so much that could be added/updated...