Dynamic Disk Memory Destruction

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Dynamic Disk Memory Destruction

Post by Stubi »

First off all I have to say te best ramdisk software I ever used - and I have been using ramdisks for more than 10 years. What I like most is the hibernation with the PAE and the dynamic ramdisk. I tested the software on Win7 32.

In respect of the dynamic ramdisk I made the experience that it does not see a limit. For instance if I have RAM of 2000 MB left and I create a dynamic ramdisk with lets say 3000 MB it will write when filled with data accordingly over all RAM it finds - even Windows. So the best way then is to switch off and on the system to avoid destructed data on the HD. Is there any way to avoid this ram destruction?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Dynamic Disk Memory Destruction

Post by Support »

Thanks. Yes, you are right. Currently we don't check the size of ramdisk under dynamic ram allocation with the available system memory. We leave users to decide the ramdisk's size which shall not beyond the available memory even the ramdisk enables dynamic ram allocation. We will try to check it in the later versions.
Stubi wrote:So the best way then is to switch off and on the system to avoid destructed data on the HD. Is there any way to avoid this ram destruction?

sorry, I can't understand it clearly. Could you pls explain more about it? thanks.
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Stubi »

I see it like this - when memory gets overwritten by the dynamic ram disk that is used by other software incl. the OS a system shutdown or a save of data can lead to scrap data on the HD - wrong memory data might be saved. The only way to avoid this after data curruption is to cut the power before anything can be saved. But one important question is do I realize this corruption in the memory always?

It is a great feature this dynamic ramdisk. Just make it more save for the user. It is not easy to watch always the available memory since this changes pretty quick if you load an application.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks, i see.

Did you ever see the corruption of the image file in this case? because when it beyonds the available memory, system will try to get more free memory by swapping some data in memory to paging file. Thus although system might slow, but ramdisk still can get correct data. In worst case, ramdisk fails to acquire memory, then it acts like some bad sectors in physical disk. But the image file shall still be in the integrity which can be loaded to read out the previous data.

So I'd like to know if you ever find that the image file is totally corrupted and even the previous data can't be read out.
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Stubi »

So - I did some tests. The Dynamic Ramdisk is a great feature. Just a little room for improvement. But you said already that you will look in future versions for a solution. Just want to tell you my experience.

System was Win7 32 with 4GB installed and 3.5 usable, 1.2 GB in use.
Dynamic disk set to 3.5 GB and files copied in the range 2.3 GB (worked) and additional 1 GB.

1. No pagingfile (what I use)

It writes to the memory until Windows brings the mem warning. But it does not stop and continues to write until the data on the screen get distorted - I am not sure if it did overwrite some memory areas it should not but it does not look good. The OS can only be restarted by power switch. I am not sure what happens if it stops with the data copy to the ramdisk before the system hangs completely and you can restart the OS normally. No idea if the data of other software is still correct in memory or it got overwritten in parts (other software started to crash before Windows started to hang). But normally Windows should block the memory areas.

2. Pagingfile 3.8 GB

The pagingfile gets filled with about 0.5 GB and then the system stops to respond. Windows did not bring a warning. The OS can only be restarted by power switch.

Hope you find a fix. It is hard to care always about the available memory. Then to create quick a fixed size ramdisk would be the better/safer option. But anyway - it is a great software with great support - thank you for your quick response.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for your detail feedback!

We will check it and find a solution.
Stubi wrote:But normally Windows should block the memory areas.
Yes, i think so.