Will not selecting MAX for L2 Storage, leave more space for Defer-Write?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
redbookQT
Level 1
Level 1

Will not selecting MAX for L2 Storage, leave more space for Defer-Write?

Post by redbookQT »

Was just wondering if I don't select MAX storage for L2 Cache size, will the extra space on the partition be used by defer-write before it starts dipping into the cache content? Or PrimoCache not use the additional space at all?

So if partition on SSD is 500GB. Under L2 Cache Storage I put in 400GB. Does that mean that Defer-Write now always has 100GB available before it starts to swap out the READ/WRITE cache?
neatchee
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Will not selecting MAX for L2 Storage, leave more space for Defer-Write?

Post by neatchee »

The remaining space will be available for use in a separate caching task. It will not be used for Defer Writes.

To create separate space for Writes vs Reads, on the cache task settings screen, click the small button to the right of the L2 Cache selection dropdown.
This will take you to the advanced cache strategy settings.
Here you will be able to set whether all cache is used for both reads and writes, or separate some space for writes and some for reads.
You can also set the update frequency - i.e. how long PrimoCache will wait before beginning to load data into the cache after it is accessed (and deemed appropriate for caching). The default behavior is to only load data into the cache from disk when the system is idle.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Will not selecting MAX for L2 Storage, leave more space for Defer-Write?

Post by Support »

PrimoCache only use the size you specified for the cache task. The remaining will not be used at all (for this cache task).
This design is to make one L2 storage partition be able to support 16 cache tasks. Each cache task can only use certain amount of the partition's space by specifying the size.