Disable disk without removing from list Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
adamaru
Level 1
Level 1

Disable disk without removing from list

Post by adamaru »

Hello,

I just started trial of Primo Ramdisk Ultimate and by far this is the best ram disk application that I found :D .

I am amused at how many advanced features it has, but I think it misses one very basic feature, that would really make it shine.

What I am trying to do is to have separate disks for every game that I play. So when I want to play game X, all I need to do is load X disk and launch the game.

Unfortunately it is somewhat complicated.
First I need to setup the drive:
1. Create new drive and set it up
2. Copy game to drive
3. Save disk contents
4. Export disk configuration to file
5. Remove the disk

It is one time job, so it really isn't that much of a hassle.

But then, when I want to play I need to recreate the drive from saved configuration:
1. Create new drive
2. Load configuration
3. Browse for saved configuration
4. Create

It works, but after reboot the disk is loaded automatically, so every time I finish playing I need to manually remove it.

What would make my use case really easy is an option to disable the disk. Basically that would do what "Remove the disk" does, but would not remove the disk from the list.

Instead of a lot of clicking and browsing I would just hit a button to enable disk from the list and I am ready to play. Also that would allow me to see a list of all created drives.
It would also simplify the initial setup of disk, because I wouldn't need to export the disk configuration.

Is there any chance such feature would be implemented?
Did I miss some configuration options that would allow me to do what I want?

Thanks in advance.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Disable disk without removing from list

Post by Support »

Thanks for using our software!
In the disk configuration, you may check the option "Volatile". This will make the virtual disk automatically removed at next computer reboot.
So far we don't have the feature you requested, but we'll consider it.
An alternative way for solving this problem is using image file features. Primo Ramdisk supports to switching/associating different image files on a ramdisk. You may create different image files, each containing the games you want, for eg, gameA.vdf, gameB.vdf. Then you may create a ramdisk with any size, and right click on this newly created ramdisk, choose "Associate Image" in the pop up menu. It will automatically load the specified image file to the ramdisk.
The only issue in this method is that you have to change the ramdisk size to a small value like 1MB and disable the image file before you restart/shutdown the computer, thus at next boot, the ramdisk is still there, but only using very few RAM.
You may also use the Primo Ramdisk CLI to set up some batch scripts to easily create/remove a ramdisk. See
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html
adamaru
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adamaru »

I wasn't aware of the CLI functionality. That changes everything.
I came up with two very simple batch files that do all the heavy lifting.

Thank you very much for reply.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

:) Great!