write cache as read cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
p0p0v
Level 1
Level 1

write cache as read cache

Post by p0p0v »

Hi
I testing now primocache on "world of tanks" game.
If i put all files from game into "read cache" by search content in game folder, ill get best gameplay.

If i run game after game-update without manual put game folder into cache - gameplay have alot of lags

During game-update many files was written in game-folder.

Does it possible to make option "put write cache into read cache after write date on uderlying disk" or "use write cache as read cache" ?

Thank you.
Sorry for piging english
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: write cache as read cache

Post by minhgi »

I would recommend you to to disable L1 write, so everything being written to the L2 can be immediately be use for the read cache. That the only way for now when you have huge update. Almost 75% of the deferred write get to the hard drive if you have L1 write cache enabled. Hope it get fix in the next version.
p0p0v
Level 1
Level 1

Post by p0p0v »

hm... i was shure what all "writes" from L1 goes to L2 ...
Now i understand why cache not working as i want... Thank you...

But L1 switching off is not possible ( - with L1 only - i have better all system performance ...

I think ill write script for put necessary for game files into read cache and will launch it after update process
i dont want to cache all game files and i need to filter which files put in such "prefetch"
whether there is a method to see what files system readed in a specific directory? any primocache logs?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

You have the option to disable L1 differ write. Enable shared cache strategy, and slide the bar to the left for full read caching. That way, the cache is allocated for 100% read and zero for write. It is is like disabling the L1 defer write. You get the L1 read cache and L2 shared cache. All write now go to the SSD drive first before hitting the hard drive.
p0p0v
Level 1
Level 1

Post by p0p0v »

But L2 have write and read parts too..
Will be L2 "write cache" available as read cache?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

p0p0v wrote:But L2 have write and read parts too..
On the shared cache exhibit that behavior.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

p0p0v wrote:But L2 have write and read parts too..
On the shared cache exhibit that behavior.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@p0p0v, in L1 and L2 advanced settings, you will see the option "Individual Read/Write Cache Space". When it is unchecked, all cache space is shared for both read and write. When it is not checked, the L1/L2 cache space will be divided into two separate regions respectively dedicated for reading and writing cache, by the ratio you specified below. You may move the slider to set up writing cache which accepts incoming write-data and stores them into the cache. Next time if these data are requested, they can be read from the cache.
verm71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verm71 »

I noticed the default for L2 cache on my SSD is entirely set to "Read" in the Individual Read/Write cache setting. Is there a risk in turning on Write cache on L2?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

There's always a risk when enabling write caching. If you don't use a UPS to protect against power outages, or if you get the occasional BSOD on the machine, then you risk losing data.

If however your computer is extremely solid, and you have a UPS protecting it, then you can use L2 write caching to buffer a slower disk quite effectively. I have it enabled on my workstation against a temporary download/work drive that way. It keeps write spikes to a minimum and ensures full speed transfers.