Defer-Write (Write-Back) for L2 Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Wontell
Level 1
Level 1

Defer-Write (Write-Back) for L2

Post by Wontell »

Hi,
Please allow Defer-Write (Write-Back) for L2 cache.
For example I got 900p intel optane and i want to use on my PC as cache for all my HDDs, when I copy file from one HDD to another I want it to be copied to L2 cache and create hard link to real location, Later PrimoCache will copy the file to its location from L2 cache when HDD is idle.

Intel SRT has such function and they call it write-back cache, files copied to SSD cache and later when HDD is idle from SSD cache to actual HDD.

Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Defer-Write (Write-Back) for L2

Post by Support »

Version 3.x already supports it.
PrimoCache set L2 for read-only purpose by default when you create a new cache task. However, you can change it by the following steps.
1. Click the icon button "Advanced L2 Cache Options",
2. Uncheck the option "Individual Read/Write Cache Space" if you want the whole cache space shared for both reading and writing. Otherwise, move the slider to specify a ratio of writing cache space.

When L2 write cache space is set, and defer-write option is checked, L2 has Write-Back enabled.
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

support wrote:Version 3.x already supports it.
PrimoCache set L2 for read-only purpose by default when you create a new cache task. However, you can change it by the following steps.
1. Click the icon button "Advanced L2 Cache Options",
2. Uncheck the option "Individual Read/Write Cache Space" if you want the whole cache space shared for both reading and writing. Otherwise, move the slider to specify a ratio of writing cache space.

When L2 write cache space is set, and defer-write option is checked, L2 has Write-Back enabled.
Each time I tried it, the PC (XP x86) freezes and I have to push the Button Reset on the case to "fix it" and restart the PC.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@idefix44, we know the problem you reported before. We haven't reproduced the problem yet, also we don't receive similar reports from other users. I'm sorry that your problem might not be fixed soon. But we'll still check this problem. If we have any updates on it, I'll let you know.
Thanks.