FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
shivars
Level 1
Level 1

Cache warming utility?

Post by shivars »

Hi,

Loving PrimoCache :)

Using it for a 3Tb iscsi target (disks on my server), mounted on my desktop PC - PrimoCache managing a 450Gb cache on an SSD inside the desktop; this config is great for me because the big slow storage sits out on the server, where the disk array can be used for other things too - but the SSD cache makes it fast again. No more storage worries :)

However, for the cases when L2 has to be flushed - and I get why - it would actually be useful to be able to point a utility at a folder or set of folders on the drive and ask it to just read all data in there, to warm and fill L2 in advance of sitting waiting for the stuff to load as-needed.

I can't seem to find a tool that would do this - anyone know of one?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cache warming utility?

Post by minhgi »

Run in any tool that scan the data at least one. I see my acronis backup fill up the L2 right after a back up. I have to reboot to prevent that from happening.
l0rdraiden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by l0rdraiden »

This option would be nice
http://www.bilgiustam.com/resimler/2009/03/34.jpg
from
http://www.bilgiustam.com/eboostr-3-ile ... andirmasi/

It's like prioritize the apps or folders you want.
And another option to exclude folders/apps
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

I use a small command line utility called readfile.exe. You can run it as a batch with a bunch of switches. e.g. readfile *.* /s to recurse a directory and its subdirectories. The basic release had a minor bug in recursing directories that I had my programmer fix since it is open source. You can get it here:

http://www.winimage.com/readfile.htm

If you want a copy of the slightly modified/fixed version I have I can send it to you or attach it to this thread (if allowed to).
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

shivars wrote:Hi,

Loving PrimoCache :)

Using it for a 3Tb iscsi target (disks on my server), mounted on my desktop PC - PrimoCache managing a 450Gb cache on an SSD inside the desktop; this config is great for me because the big slow storage sits out on the server, where the disk array can be used for other things too - but the SSD cache makes it fast again. No more storage worries :)

However, for the cases when L2 has to be flushed - and I get why - it would actually be useful to be able to point a utility at a folder or set of folders on the drive and ask it to just read all data in there, to warm and fill L2 in advance of sitting waiting for the stuff to load as-needed.

I can't seem to find a tool that would do this - anyone know of one?
I've requested this in the past - the developers did not reply at all, and the community was unable to find a utility to help force content into the cache.

Don't expect it will ever be done, for those reasons.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Such features that related to file operations (filter, pre-load, etc.) might be added in v4.0 version. So far I'm sorry that you have to use external commands to read files to force them into L2 cache.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

It's nice to know it's being considered for the future.

I have yet to find a utility to force content into Primocache reliably.
horizon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by horizon »

How about cmd like this?
for /F "tokens=*" %%I in ('dir/b /s ^"c:\program files\*.*^"') DO type %%G >nul

Different concepts of triggering could be considered:
A. manual... obvislously
B. If PC produces the entry in eventlog on flushing the cache, it should be possible to hang a trigger on it:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/win ... ows-event/
C. Subject to verificition: If not, you might be possibly able to monitor the cache deletion using audit policy: http://sogeeky.blogspot.com/2006/07/how ... tions.html a trigger an event based on it.
C. Development needed: Primocache could be able to launch a custom command upon cache flush.
horizon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by horizon »

support wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm Such features that related to file operations (filter, pre-load, etc.) might be added in v4.0 version. So far I'm sorry that you have to use external commands to read files to force them into L2 cache.
Just checking, if cache warming capabilities are still on v4 roadmap... somewhere. ;)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@horizon, yes, we are now starting to support file-related features. Sorry for the slow progress as we have many tasks to do.