Level 1

Should I using one 120 gb ssd as L2 cache

Post by bebeo92 »

Hi I'm a new one with PrimoCache

Currently, I'm using the laptop Asus GL502JX
With 16GB RAM, 1 240GB SSD , 1 1TB 7k2 HDD
and now I'm config the PrimoCache with 5GB L1 Cache and 10GB SSD as L2 Cache
But my laptop also support another m2 ssd slot

So my question is, should I add another 120GB SSD and make it as my L2 Cache ?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Should I using one 120 gb ssd as L2 cache

Post by Support »

For your information first, access speed: SSD > L2 cache > HDD.
So if possible, install programs or store data directly on SSDs. This will be the fastest way. If you have to store data into HDDs, you can use SSDs as level-2 cache to speed up HDDs. You may check the "Free Cache (L1/L2)" to see if L2 cache space is enough. When the "free cache" is near to 32MB, it means that cache space is full of data and PrimoCache may discard old cached data to cache new data. It's up to you to decide if you need more L2 cache space or not.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Should I using one 120 gb ssd as L2 cache

Post by BonzaiDuck »

Save me the time for looking up the laptop model.

If you want to cache the 1TB 7k2 drive, you could use the second M.2 for caching. There should be nothing related to L2 cache for the boot SSD. NVMe or SATA, unless you are adding an NVMe M.2 and the first one is only SATA M.2, there's nothing left to do but add a caching volume -- either on the existing SSD or a second one -- to accelerate the HDD.

It all depends on what sort of files -- or even programs -- you store on that HDD. I have a second set of "Program files" directories on an HDD in my system, cached to an L2 on my boot-volume NVMe M.2. The only thing I could do that is better: replace the HDD with a 1TB SATA SSD. I could still use the NVMe cache and add the SATA SSD to the task(s). We're in no hurry for that now. But -- I am curious . . .